DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Bobby Layne?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedTue Oct 16, 2007 7:08 am

So he's not a Tiger...that's too bad! Bobby Layne for those that don't know is the greatest quarterback in the history of the Detroit Lions and was a first ballot HOFer. For a while he was the all-time TD passes leader (that record has since been broken numerous times). He is usually remembered as a Pittsburgh Steeler for some reason despite the fact he played twice as long in Detroit and won 2.5 championships here (he was injured in 1957 - Tobin Rote played half the year) and none in Pittsburgh.

Anyways, Bobby Layne is second only to Ty Cobb on my list of favorite athletes in all sports (Gordie Howe is 3rd). I collect autographed photos (all of them are 8X10 save Howe whose is 16X20) of players and hang them on my wall. Despite my best efforts, I have never found one of Bobby Layne who died in December of 1986. I have autographs of Charlie Gehringer and Hal Newhouser who have been dead almost as long so I know it is possible.

According to the latest SMR magazine (a magazine that publishes sports memoroblia/card prices) a Layne autographed photo is worth $150. Due to the scarcity of said photos, I'd be willing to pay $300 for one (twice the value). If anyone can steer me in that direction, I'd be very appreciative of it. Keep in mind I am somewhat selective of what I want and the photo must meet several criteria:

1. Layne must be depicted as a Detroit Lion, not a Steeler or Texas Longhorn.
  2. The photo must be a glossy photo, not some magazine cutout.
  3. The photo must be authenticated by PSA/DNA, JSA, or some other reputable company.
  4. The photo must be 8X10 or larger.

One last thing, this photo, or any similar photo, is not acceptable (which is too bad because it's just $194):
Bobby Layne? 359
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedWed Nov 21, 2007 11:42 pm

Where do you get all this money??

Have you looked into the "Goal Line Art" Cards of NFL Hall of Famers?? They are very similar to the Perez-Steele Postcards for baseball HOFers!!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedMon Dec 10, 2007 5:19 am

tigersaint wrote:

Have you looked into the "Goal Line Art" Cards of NFL Hall of Famers?? They are very similar to the Perez-Steele Postcards for baseball HOFers!!

I don't know why I never replied to this, BUT.....$300 isn't that much money especially for something like a Bobby Layne autograph.

I have Goal Line Art Cards for every Lions HOFer (other than Sanders and Sanders). I've got quite a few of them signed but not Wojciecowicz (which is barely possible), Walker (I think it's possible) and Barney (he charges a fortune to do it) and the two Sanders'. I don't have the Perez-Steele cards yet but I'll add them once I have real money. I went with a fancy football card collection first because they make less cards (typical Lions team sets are 10-20 cards) and cost way less (the Lions haven't been good in 50 years).

The complete set of Topps from 1957-2007 wasn't all that hard for me to get. The Tigers on the other hand will cost me a fortune and I just don't have that kind of money right now. $0/month makes buying nice things hard.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedWed Dec 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Unless you use your credit card lol!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedWed Dec 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Buy Now! Pay whenever!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedWed Dec 12, 2007 7:19 pm

JUST KIDDING!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedFri Dec 21, 2007 12:57 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
tigersaint wrote:

I don't know why I never replied to this, BUT.....$300 isn't that much money especially for something like a Bobby Layne autograph.

I have Goal Line Art Cards for every Lions HOFer (other than Sanders and Sanders). I've got quite a few of them signed but not Wojciecowicz (which is barely possible), Walker (I think it's possible) and Barney (he charges a fortune to do it) and the two Sanders'. I don't have the Perez-Steele cards yet but I'll add them once I have real money. I went with a fancy football card collection first because they make less cards (typical Lions team sets are 10-20 cards) and cost way less (the Lions haven't been good in 50 years).

The complete set of Topps from 1957-2007 wasn't all that hard for me to get. The Tigers on the other hand will cost me a fortune and I just don't have that kind of money right now. $0/month makes buying nice things hard.

I think Layne's Goal line art card has him depicted as a Steeler.....

Of all my TIGERS sets, the 1961 Team Set is my favorite (and most expensive.....). 1989 Upper Deck is the most ATTRACTIVE one to me and I really like the 1963 Topps Baseball and 1969 Topps Football sets (colorful) as well.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_minipostedFri Dec 21, 2007 1:27 pm

His GLA is a Steeler rant I don't get it. Almost everything you see of him depicts him as a Steeler despite the fact he played twice as long in Detroit and that's where he was at his best. Also, contrary to what one might think, Layne was in Detroit when they were better than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh wasn't that great in the 1950s/early 1960s. Layne won THREE championships in Detroit and ZERO in Pittsburgh.

My favorite baseball set:
1911 T206 Smack

Damn...why do I have to have such expensive taste?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bobby Layne? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bobby Layne?   Bobby Layne? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Bobby Layne?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Hobbies :: Baseball Card Collecting & Memorabilia-
Jump to: