DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June

Go down 
+2
swiss_tiger
gs78
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Empty
PostSubject: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 2:13 am

According to the Detroit Free Press; Demolition will begin by June!

In an unrelated note; I expect to be banned from the Detroit Free Press Forum;

Especially after I get done with my opinions on Ilitch, The Wealthy Fans that now flock to Co Crapica I mean Comerica, Tax Dollars that subsidize Sports Stadiums, The Detroit Police, The Great Fatsby { Kwame] The homeless and ticket scalpers outside Comerica and the idiot people of Detroit;

I speak the truth!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 9:24 am

Stunned In that case i'm glad im in Detroit in May! So i have a chance to go to Tiger Stadium and make some pictures before they tear it down. Crying or Very sad

Thanks gs for the post.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 am

Group lobbies to save part of Tiger Stadium after Detroit awards demolition contract
By JOHN GALLAGHER • FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER • April 22, 2008

With the awarding of a demolition contract today by the city, the debate over old Tiger Stadium is shifting to whether to knock down all of the historic ballpark or to save a corner of it.

At the very least, a demolition team is likely to start razing about 75% of the ballpark in May or June, as soon as the contract approved today is signed and the contractors get their effort in place.

But Corktown neighborhood activists pleaded today for more time to raise money for their plan to save a dugout-to-dugout corner of the stadium as a community center and museum.

Detroit’s Economic Development Corp., a quasi-public arm of the city, awarded the demolition contract to a joint venture of MCM Management Corp. of Bloomfield Hills and The Farrow Group of Detroit. The team will tear down the stadium at no cost to the city and make its money by selling the scrap, estimated to run $1 million or more in value.

Sharon Malinowski, a restaurant owner in the area and a special director of the EDC on the stadium project, was the only one to vote against the demolition contract Tuesday, saying she thought the city ought to give the non-profit Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy beyond more time to raise money to save a portion of the ballpark. Right now, the conservancy is working against a June 1 deadline to raise needed funds.

“They’re a small group and they’re struggling against big odds, and I think the city could do more to help them secure the funding,” she told the EDC board. “That stadium means a lot to all the people of Detroit. It’s not just a business venture. I’d like to see them get more time and more help.”

George Jackson, president of the Detroit Economic Growth Corp. and the city’s chief development officer, indicated that his organization’s patience was running thin.

“We’ve bent over backwards,” he said of working with the conservancy. “We’ve given a grace period that no other city in the history of this country has given in regards to maintaining a stadium or renovating one.”

One complicating factor is that the demolition team has promised to pay the city $300,000 if granted permission by June 1 to tear down the entire stadium. If the debate over the fate of the conservancy’s plans goes beyond that point, the city would not get that money.

That means the conservancy is working under a deadline of June 1 to come up with at least $369,000 to pay the EDC. Some $300,000 would make up for the money not coming form the demolition company and $69,000 would cover six months’ worth of security and maintenance. If that money is not in hand, the EDC will proceed with demolishing the entire stadium, Jackson said.

The total cost of the conservancy’s project would be about $15 million, yet to be raised.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 4:16 pm

You are Welcome;

That being said; It is a rottern shame the city of Detroit [ is now] such in a hurry to tear it down;

It has been vacant nine years; What is wrong with giving Corktown group another 90 days to raise money?

The Train Depot has been vacant 20 years, looks like it is about to collapse any minute; but there are no plans to demolish it anytime soon.

You can bet Mike Ilitch is behind this; His biggest fear is that someone will fix up [ or create a smaller scaled version] and bring minor league baseball to Detroit.

Ironically; If the Tigers win the WS or even if the don't, ticket prices probably will be beyond the reach of many families anyway.

More and More; Comerica Park is becoming a corporate hang out.

Pretty soon all you will have are Doctors, Lawyers and CEO"S at their games.

Good Job Mafia Mike;
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 4:20 pm

Just like Boblo, Drive In Movies and Maybe the Detroit Zoo [ if Kwame stays in power] Tiger Stadium will be no more.

It is a shame today's kids can't enjoy those innocent carefree times:

Then Again; They are probably too busy playing Guitar Hero to notice anyway
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks Lap for posting the article;

I bet this thread by long gone if it was on the other board
Back to top Go down
rickimouse
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
rickimouse

Female
Number of posts : 394
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Pudge, Clete Thomas, Granderson...
Registration date : 2008-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 4:28 pm

My fiance takes his hat off everytime we drive past Tiger stadium.

No matter what happens the corner of Michigan and Trumbull will always be holy ground to me.

Sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickireed
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 4:37 pm

R.I.P TIGER STADIUM
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedWed Apr 23, 2008 7:08 pm

any urinals still left on eBay?
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 1:57 am

Who the hell would want to buy a urinal?

Sorry! I don't understand that at all. Be worse than buying Jim Leyland's used ashtrays!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 9:34 am

lol just kidding! would much rather have a bleacher seat, but they are now $400 apiece on eBay!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 12:19 pm

.....tear it down already.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 12:23 pm

I'll try to get some quick pics of it when we go.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 6:49 pm

I will be up in June for my mom's Memorial, maybe I will get to see the old stadium in its final glory.....
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 9:12 pm

tigersaint wrote:
I will be up in June for my mom's Memorial, maybe I will get to see the old stadium in its final glory.....

Let me know when and I can meet you up there if there's not a work conflict!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedThu Apr 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Same here, I may try to come up that way too.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 11:30 am

ok, I will let you guys know when....
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 11:55 am

Why don't you visit Comerica Park Tigersaint? Maybe see a Tigers Game.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 pm

I am gonna add one more comment on this subject; Then I am moving on!

In addition to Ilitch; The City of Detroit [ which is run by African Americans] has no love loss for Tiger Stadium.

The Tigers, especially when Briggs owned them, were among the most racist organizations in MLB.

In fact, The Tigers were the second to last team in the AL to have a Black Player on their team.

Black Fans that attended games were often treated rudely by stadium employees, including ushers and security.

In addition, with the exception of Corktown, most of the people against demolition are white suburanites.

The Detroit Area is one of the most racially segregated cities in North America.

And this issue is really a pissing contest between the city and the suburbs

Last edited by gs78 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 pm

However, it is sad that Tiger Stadium is a pawn in this contest!

She deserved a better fate!

She should still be hosting games. Like Fenway and Wrigley!

Oh well we got Co Sweatica park. Where there is no shade; and lots of sun!

And thanks to Global Warming; it is 80 degrees in April or at least whenever the Tigers are in town.

Be wearing a T shirt and Shorts tonight, Feels like Florida!

BOO! rant

Last edited by gs78 on Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 2:50 pm

And to think, Tiger Stadium is recorded on the National Registry of Historic Places. 99% of the cities do everything possible to save and restore these properties! There are even federal funds available to help! It is a big shame that it is not a museum and college level ballpark! Or have all the City of Detroit schools use it!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_minipostedFri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
And to think, Tiger Stadium is recorded on the National Registry of Historic Places. 99% of the cities do everything possible to save and restore these properties! There are even federal funds available to help! It is a big shame that it is not a museum and college level ballpark! Or have all the City of Detroit schools use it!

now THAT is SAD. Why does it always take money....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June   Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Demolition of Tiger Stadium to begin by June
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Team Discussion & Game Day Posts-
Jump to: