DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Casablanca (1942)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 9:39 am

I wasn't planning on watching this at 5:30 AM but I'm so sick I can't even sleep.

As usual, I know next to nothing about this movie. It has Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman (who I haven't seen yet). I'm assuming it takes place in Africa. I think this is the one with the line "Here's looking at you kid". I also think this ends with some guy playing a piano but I'm not sure.

This is generally considered one of the greatest movies of all-time so I have high expectations for it.
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 10:23 am

I have never seen this one but i think one of the famous lines in this movie is "Play it again Sam".
I hope i didn't spoil anything with that. Wink
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 11:40 am

Well. I started to watch this but felt to sick and every noise the movie made my headache worse. I'll try again later.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedMon Apr 21, 2008 7:09 pm

I just watched this. Roger Ebert once said this film, while not the greatest film of all-time, is the most loved. He said he'd never read a bad review of the film. This review won't be a bad one either.

With that said, I was a little disappointed in this. Sure, it had its moments, but it seemed to really drag at points. The love story wasn't bad, but I never really got into that. The film has some historical aspects, but they weren't all that great.

The acting in this film was pretty good but I thought it was better in The Maltese Falcon which has pretty much the same cast - just substitute Ingrid Bergman for Mary Astor. As usual, Bogart was great. Lorre and Greenstreet were alright, but I've seen them better. This was the first time I've seen Ingrid Bergman and her acting was decent as well.

Overall, this wasn't a bad film but I wouldn't rate it as high as most people do. In fact, although this makes me look like a fool, I preferred Gone With the Wind to this film.

73/100
C-

UP NEXT: Let's try what the people at the IMDb call the greatest film noir film of all-time - Sunset Blvd.
Back to top Go down
kharmon
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
kharmon

Female
Number of posts : 399
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Mike Hollimon
Registration date : 2008-04-12

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedWed May 14, 2008 3:21 am

I had rented this through netflicks like three years ago because me and my boyfriend were going to watch it. But then we broke up and the next day it arrived. I was to depressed to watch it alone so I tried to get my sister or mom to watch it with me but they wouldn't. I told them that if I watched alone I would be so sad that I would slit my wrists and kill myself and it would be all their faults. Sadly I never got to watch it because it some how disappeared after that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kmharmon
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 9:02 pm

Okay, I must have REALLY missed something in this movie. From Amazon:

June is Pride Month: Celebrate with savings up to 59% off a wide selection of Gay and Lesbian DVDs.

This movie has been discounted. confused
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 9:55 pm

ashamed
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 9:57 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
ashamed

What'd I miss? I could have sworn Rick was straight! Maybe that's why he let Ilsa run off to America?
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 10:00 pm

was he messing around with Louis? He walked into the fog with him at the very end!!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 10:07 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
was he messing around with Louis? He walked into the fog with him at the very end!!

LMAO

That's a big leap for Amazon to make though. I mean I wouldn't call Casablanca a gay and lesbian film. Rope is probably a better movie since the two main characters clearly live together in a tiny apartment. That one didn't get a 50%+ discount confused
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedWed Jun 04, 2008 1:17 pm

I liked it for its innuendo and historical intrigue. And actually, Bogie never said, "Play it again, Sam;" he said, "Play it, Sam."
I was amazed how either naiive, trusting, or free-minded Paul Heinrich was to let his wife go off with Bogie!
Also, way too much cigarette smoke, but that was the times. You almost wanted to cough while watching the movie itself! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedWed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
I liked it for its innuendo and historical intrigue. And actually, Bogie never said, "Play it again, Sam;" he said, "Play it, Sam."
I was amazed how either naiive, trusting, or free-minded Paul Heinrich was to let his wife go off with Bogie!
Also, way too much cigarette smoke, but that was the times. You almost wanted to cough while watching the movie itself! Big Smile

I thought the quote was "Play it Sam, play 'As Time Goes By'"
Smoking looks cool in those old movies for some reason. I mean I don't smoke and get disgusted by people smoking around me, but for some reason it just looks cool when it's in black and white. Whenever I see The Maltese Falcon and see Bogart light up a cigarette (using some sort of weird match lighting thing) he just looks cool.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedWed Jun 04, 2008 7:03 pm

It is...many think he said, "Play it again, Sam"
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 2:33 am

Smoking looks cool in old Sports Photos too

Fans dressed in suits smoking cigars on Opening Day or players lighting up in the clubhouse

But not anymore!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 2:35 am

Best thing they ever did was make seated sections no smoking!

Let Fans light up in designated smoking areas; but not by me
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_minipostedThu Jun 05, 2008 5:23 am

amazing what tobacco companies had us believe...and the movies and sports propagated it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Casablanca (1942) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Casablanca (1942)   Casablanca (1942) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Casablanca (1942)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: