DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08

Go down 
+9
gs78
iluvpudge7
mrsrabelo
laprimamirala
Lo_x15
SoulRat
catbox_9
bobrob2004
GoGetEmTigers
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Empty
PostSubject: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:24 pm

04/08/2008 2:27 PM ET
Granderson begins workouts
Outfielder thrilled about resuming activities, Jayhawks' win
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

BOSTON -- Curtis Granderson had to admit that he was nervous about his Kansas Jayhawks' chances at beating the Memphis Tigers in the NCAA basketball championship game on Monday night, when they were down nine with just over two minutes to go. He felt much less nervous about swinging a bat on Tuesday morning.

With his fractured right middle finger healed enough to resume baseball activities, Granderson did just that on Tuesday for the first time since fracturing his finger on March 22. It wasn't a heavy session, but it was a start toward his eventual return to the Detroit Tigers' lineup.

"All I did today was try to hit the ball and see what it felt like," Granderson said.

It was definitely more about the feel than the results. At one point, Granderson admitted, he felt awkward making short throws with fans at Fenway Park watching, or hitting a ball off a tee just 10 or 20 feet in his early swings. But as he was warned, it's part of the process.

"It did feel like baby steps," Granderson said. "When I came out, if you were watching me throw, you'd think, 'Who's this guy out there throwing the ball 20 feet with a big arc?' I knew it wasn't going to feel right. So when everything was OK, let's step it up a notch."

Granderson estimated he took about 20 swings, half of them with a ball on a tee and the rest without a ball. He also made some throws from 20-90 feet away, with and without his finger taped.

It was not without pain, and it took a while for him to get comfortable gripping the bat, but that was expected.

"Gripping it actually felt good," he said.

He'll continue making his steps each day, and he hopes to have his finger taped up less on Wednesday. But the timetable remains flexible. Tigers president/general manager Dave Dombrowski said on Sunday night on ESPN2's broadcast that he'd be happy to have Granderson back in 10 days.

"I'm happy. I'm real happy with it today," Granderson said. "The frustrating thing is I really don't know when. But I'm happy with today and excited about tomorrow."

Granderson was also understandably happy over his Jayhawks, whom he grew up following as a kid in Chicago. He had a KU T-shirt hanging in his locker in the visiting clubhouse at Fenway Park, along with a copy of the front page from USA Today with the postgame celebration from Monday's NCAA championship game pictured.

"I thought it was going to be tough," Granderson said of the comeback -- the Jayhawks', not his. "But [Marcus Thames] was going to start celebrating [for Memphis]."

Thames grew up a couple hours from Memphis, Tenn., in Mississippi.

"Don't lie," Thames chided Granderson. "You were nervous."

Countered Granderson: "It wasn't over yet. That's the big thing."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:33 pm

When will everyone else start their workouts? :shrug:
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:35 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

Good Question! And whe will Leland get the balls to yell at the team!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:35 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

Granderson first, the rest will follow?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:36 pm

At least this IS GOOD NEWS!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:37 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

LMAO LMAO Thank you brob LMAO
Back to top Go down
Lo_x15
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan WhitecapDTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan Whitecap
Lo_x15

Female
Number of posts : 470
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : *Brandon Inge*, Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson, Placido Polanco
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 7:44 pm

I'm happy and sad.

I love Curtis, he's my #2 Tiger, and I'm so happy he'll be back, but my main man will be back in the dugout Frown
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 pm

Not the way Miggy is playing. I would not be suprised to see Inge at 3rd and Miggy in LF or DH.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 9:28 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Not the way Miggy is playing. I would not be suprised to see Inge at 3rd and Miggy in LF or DH.

that's the way it should've started out! Smack
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 10:05 pm

Maybe Curtis will bring some wins with him when he comes back...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedTue Apr 08, 2008 10:06 pm

bobrob2004 wrote:

Hopefully soon!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 12:03 am

Just don't bring :curtis: back too soon, before he's all the way healed!!!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 2:06 am

Can't wait until Granderson returns
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 2:46 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Let's hope the return of Curtis will shake things up and we finally start playing!
DH Miggy? And Sheff? I would love to see Inge back at 3rd!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 5:15 am

Granderson's return will probably be the ball that gets things rolling!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Cheering for Grandersons return at least gives us SOMETHING to root for.....
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 4:21 pm

GO :curtis:
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 pm

this was just dumb luck that he was injured! Things would've been different had he started!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 pm

We need Granderson!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 am

but we'll take Clete for now!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 12:15 am

laprimamirala wrote:
but we'll take Clete for now!

Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 12:21 am

he's doing awesome, that Michael Clete Thomas! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 2:21 am

GO CLETE GO!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 6:20 am

another granderson?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 10:15 am

For the future, Clete should do very well for himself!!! He is getting there!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedThu Apr 10, 2008 11:18 am

making great strides already!!!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 16, 2008 12:41 am

04/15/2008 7:41 PM ET
Granderson takes live batting practice
Tigers not rushing injured center fielder back into action
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

DETROIT -- Curtis Granderson's daily activities have started to resemble to his regular pregame warmup routine. However, that does not mean that he is close to being ready for game action.

Granderson took the next step in his hitting work on Tuesday, when he took pregame batting practice for the first time since fracturing his right middle finger during Spring Training. Considering he had been taking swings at soft tosses and off of a tee for the past week or so, it was an adjustment. Still, he was spraying the ball to all fields.

"It felt all right," Granderson said. "Everything looked kind of funny, being outside for the first time, having the cage around me, having someone behind yelling about this, that and the other thing. It's definitely positive I got a chance to come out here and do it pretty much free of pain."

Granderson was pretty much pain-free during the session, but not completely. The pain level, he explained later, was tolerable.

"I knew there was going to be a little bit," he said. "I know there's still more to come as we finally step it up a little bit, as I swing and miss, as I get jammed or hit one off the end of the bat."

If he had to try to play with that level of pain, he said, he could probably do it. It's the game-readiness that would do him in, however. That's why he had plenty of pregame work that had nothing to do with his bandaged hand, from running the bases to speed work.

"It's a combination of the pain and being-ready issues," he said. "There's no way I would be able to jump in there right now and face anyone who's throwing for Minnesota today. I would be overmatched, considering the hardest ball I've seen has been [Tigers third base coach] Gene Lamont throwing to me."

That's the kind of patience the Tigers want to see from him, as the team is in no hurry to rush to get him back. As much as they could use him in the lineup, they also want to make sure he's healthy. It's a delicate balance that they have to strike.

So far, it's something they've managed to do well. Granderson at least sounds like someone keeping any pressure in check. His outlook when he returns, he said, is the same as it would've been had he been starting on Opening Day.

"That's to come out, try to set the tone for the rest of the guys behind me, come out and play good defense," Granderson said. "That's going to be my same goal. I'm not a home run guy. I'm not a huge [stolen] base threat. Just gotta go out there and try to play my game, not do too much.

"I think it's going to be all right, because from what I've seen with Clete Thomas and Brandon Inge going out there to play, I don't have to do anything different than what those guys have been doing. If I can even match up to them, I think that would be a success."

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 am

:curtis: YAY!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 16, 2008 3:43 am

one thing you can't rush is body healing!
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_minipostedWed Apr 16, 2008 3:49 am

True lap. He does not have to rush. Get real healthy before coming back Curtis.

I really look forward to this comeback but at the same time, i am a little bit sad because things for Inge and Thomas will change quite a bit.
Thomas will go back to Toledo i guess. Inge will have to warm the bench. I'm sorry for these two guys. Sad

But happy for Curtis!! YAY! Yay2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08   Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Granderson begins workouts - 4/8/08
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: