DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Braves conquer Mets

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Braves conquer Mets Empty
PostSubject: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 am

Braves conquer Mets, Santana
Teixeira's two-run home run in the eighth clinches victory for Atlanta, Smoltz (1-0).
Detroit News wire services
ATLANTA -- John Smoltz is back -- and so is that pesky knot behind his shoulder.

Smoltz (Lansing Waverly) pitched five scoreless innings, Mark Teixeira hit a two-run homer and the Atlanta Braves beat Johan Santana and the New York Mets, 3-1, on Sunday to complete a two-game sweep of the rain-shortened series.

Santana (0-1) gave up only one run in seven innings, but Teixeira's eighth-inning drive off Aaron Heilman gave Atlanta a 3-0 lead.

Smoltz (1-0) was making his first start after opening the season on the disabled list because of tightness in the back of his right shoulder. He again felt a knot in the trapezoid muscle and left after giving up only two hits and two walks.

"It's all right. I just didn't want to take a chance," said Smoltz, who struck out six. "This is my first test. I didn't fail it.

"It kills me to not go back out there for the sixth and possibly the seventh but I'm proud that at least I was able to say it's getting stiff, and not make it worse. ... I'm a seven- and eight-inning guy and that's what it'll be this year, but for the first start, I'll take this."

Braves manager Bobby Cox said he was confident Smoltz will make his next start.

"It is an important game but it is (Smoltz's) first game of the year," Cox said. "He'll make his next start."

Rafael Soriano allowed Ryan Church's two-out RBI single in the ninth before finishing for his first save. With runners on first and second, Teixeira made a diving stop of a sharp grounder by Brian Schneider to end the game.

"I was playing one step toward the line," Teixeira said. "I just didn't want a cheap groundball to get down that line. Brian hit it good, but I just wanted to try to smother it and get the out."

Santana, making his first career start at Turner Field, gave up seven hits, struck out three and did not walk a batter.

"They took advantage of a couple of pitches," Santana said.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 10:20 am

Yay Smoltz! Yay2
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 11:15 am

YAY!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 11:52 am

He's closing in on 3000 K's. 20ish more!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_minipostedMon Apr 07, 2008 12:29 pm

again, we rue the day we trade away another player.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Braves conquer Mets   Braves conquer Mets Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Braves conquer Mets
Page 1 of 1