DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Empty
PostSubject: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedThu Apr 03, 2008 10:16 am

Reliever Tim Byrdak won't return to Tigers, signs with Houston

As recently as Tuesday afternoon, Tim Byrdak expected to re-sign with the Tigers.
Advertisement

“I felt like I had a lot of unfinished business there,” he said. “The way spring training went for me, it was kind of embarrassing.

“I was one of the few guys in Major League Baseball to have a job and lose it because of a terrible spring. I wanted to get back to Detroit and help stabilize the bullpen.

“I don’t want people to think I can’t do my job.”

Byrdak, who had been a reliable left-handed reliever for Detroit last year, was released by the club after a spring training in which he went 0-1 with a 13.50 ERA.

Still, he had interest in re-signing with the Tigers. And the Tigers had interest in him.

But the Houston Astros contacted his representatives on Tuesday, and their sales pitch was compelling: They had only one left-handed reliever on their big-league roster – Rule 5 draft pick Wesley Wright – and Byrdak would have a good chance of returning to the majors soon.

So, Byrdak decided on Wednesday to sign a minor-league contract with the Astros. Then he left his home outside Chicago to join Houston’s Triple-A affiliate, the Round Rock Express, for their season-opening series in Iowa.

Byrdak said the Tigers’ signing of left-hander Aaron Fultz last weekend was a factor in his decision. With the Astros, Byrdak said, “I felt like there was more opportunity to get back (to the big leagues) quicker.”

Detroit officials have been trying to add left-handed pitching depth, since Bobby Seay is the only left-hander currently in the big-league bullpen.

Byrdak said he had kept in touch with his friends in Detroit over the past several days, including Seay and reliever Zach Miner.

“With the friendships I developed in that bullpen last year, I’m pulling for those guys to prove a lot of people wrong,” Byrdak said, as he traveled to Des Moines on Wednesday night. “I’ll definitely have an interest. Those guys are my friends there.”

Byrdak expects to be in uniform when Round Rock’s season begins on Thursday. He’s about to begin the same journey he started at this time last year, when he was at Triple-A Toledo, hoping for a chance to prove he belonged in the majors.

He pitched well for the Mud Hens, and then had a 3.20 ERA in 39 appearances for the Tigers, before things unraveled this spring.

“The worst part about it is that I was at the pinnacle of my career, trying to establish myself as a big-league pitcher,” Byrdak said. “But my career has always been like that. I’ve been knocked down, and I keep coming back.”
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedFri Apr 04, 2008 5:34 am

good for him. The Tigs are probably wondering why they let him go!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 1:07 pm

He's done pretty well so far!

Go Big Byrd!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedTue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm

Should have kept him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedWed May 28, 2008 12:19 am

Oh I agree.
Perfection of an outing today.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedWed May 28, 2008 1:38 am

Could have used him tonight
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedSun Jun 01, 2008 5:25 pm

Big Byrdak has just finished two almost perfect innings, only allowing 1 hit, with 1 walk and a whooping 3 strikeouts against the Brew Crew in Milwaukee.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 7:07 pm

His thread on the Astros MB:

The Tim Byrdak Appreciation Thread
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 7:18 pm

crap. Another Tiger blossoms away from Detroit! Yes I think the Tigs office IS kicking themselves. Who trades people/lets em go during ST? Oh, yeah, that would be us.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_minipostedTue Jun 03, 2008 7:38 pm

We keep letting them get away
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston   Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Reliever Tim Byrdak signs with Houston
Page 1 of 1