DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Time to leave Florida!

Go down 
+2
GoGetEmTigers
laprimamirala
6 posters
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Time to leave Florida! Empty
PostSubject: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedFri Mar 28, 2008 2:45 am

Tigers say farewell to Florida in style
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla . -- Dressed in flashy suits, $100 shirts and, here and there, silk ties worthy of GQ's cover, the Tigers late Thursday afternoon strolled for the last time in 2008 out of Joker Marchant Stadium's clubhouse.

They were flanked by loud fans as the team boarded a bus for Tampa and a charter flight to Houston where the Tigers will play a two-game series before Monday's season opener against the Kansas City Royals at Comerica Park.

"It looks like they're ready to me," said manager Jim Leyland, whose team ended its Grapefruit League season with an explosive 14-5 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

"I like some things I'm seeing, obviously."

Thursday's game struck a sweet chord for a team that hasn't had the merriest of spring camps. The Tigers, who this week saw their bats catch up to opposing pitching, blasted the Phillies with 18 hits, including home runs from Placido Polanco and rookie outfielder Clete Thomas, who could end up as Leyland's final position player on a 25-man roster that likely won't be set until this weekend.

Kenny Rogers made sure pitchers played a role in Thursday's farewell to Florida. He gave up three hits and two runs, all in the third inning, but pitched to only nine batters in the other three innings of his four-inning set.

"Kenny was good," Leyland said. "When he feels good, he can finish his pitches."

The game, for one afternoon, made the Tigers forget about a bullpen yet to be resolved; an Opening Day outfield minus Curtis Granderson; a couple of relief pitchers on the disabled list and another stranded in the Dominican Republic with visa issues.

Leyland felt better about his team even before Thursday's game, which was played in glorious, 78-degree sunshine, before a crowd of 8,830, capping a record year of attendance at Marchant Stadium (126,124).

"I like what I've seen the last couple of days," Leyland said. "This team will be ready Opening Day, no doubt in my mind. I see at-bats picking up.

"We'll be ready, trust me. The last few days we've picked up the concentration level. We'll be ready to play."

Gary Sheffield, the designated hitter whose previously injured shoulder is 100 percent and whose bat has recently caught fire, had similar thoughts.

"I had the same feeling with the '97 Marlins," said Sheffield, who played that year on Florida's world championship team, also was managed by Leyland. "Everybody's been excited from Day 1. The way we're coming out of camp is very good."

Asked if a bullpen still in a state of flux might dampen things, Sheffield shook his head.

"We've got guys who can perform, who can step up," he said. "It shouldn't be a concern."

Tigers reliever Zach Miner, who might inherit the seventh-inning spot once occupied by the injured Joel Zumaya, agreed with Sheffield. He said the Tigers bullpen has enough talent and bravado to finish games.

"I see a lot of guys who are very capable of getting done what guys with bigger names would get done," Miner said, referring to Denny Bautista, Aquilino Lopez and Yorman Bazardo.

Miner took a last glance at the Tigers clubhouse and said: "I'm excited. It's been a good spring, for the most part.

"But I know a lot of guys are happy to get out of here."
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedFri Mar 28, 2008 3:37 am

Quote :
"It looks like they're ready to me," said manager Jim Leyland, whose team ended its Grapefruit League season with an explosive 14-5 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies.

"I like some things I'm seeing, obviously."

Thursday's game struck a sweet chord for a team that hasn't had the merriest of spring camps. The Tigers, who this week saw their bats catch up to opposing pitching, blasted the Phillies with 18 hits, including home
runs from Placido Polanco and rookie outfielder Clete Thomas, who could
end up as Leyland's final position player on a 25-man roster that
likely won't be set until this weekend.

Kenny Rogers made sure pitchers played a role in Thursday's farewell to Florida. He gave up three hits and two runs, all in the third inning, but pitched to only nine batters in the other three innings of his four-inning set.

"Kenny was good," Leyland said. "When he feels good, he can finish his pitches."

Yes!!! If this was any indication of things to come, they are more than ready, and our oldest players are showing they are FAR from being washed up!!!

Quote :
Tigers reliever Zach Miner, who might inherit the seventh-inning spot once occupied by the injured Joel Zumaya, agreed with Sheffield. He said the Tigers bullpen has enough talent and bravado to finish games.

"I see a lot of guys who are very capable of getting done what guys with bigger names would get done," Miner said, referring to Denny Bautista, Aquilino Lopez and Yorman Bazardo.

I think our bullpen will be a lot better than people think! I really like Denny Bautista, Aquilino Lopez and Yorman Bazardo.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedFri Mar 28, 2008 4:54 am

LET's ROCK and ROLL!!!!
Back to top Go down
Trinita
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
Trinita

Female
Number of posts : 431
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSat Mar 29, 2008 9:48 pm

woohoohoo can't wait!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSat Mar 29, 2008 11:17 pm

Come on Monday, hurry up all ready!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSat Mar 29, 2008 11:25 pm

would like to be on that plane to Detroit!
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSat Mar 29, 2008 11:42 pm

Oh yeah that would be awesome!!!!! Just talking baseball with guys . . . whistle
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 2:59 am

laprimamirala wrote:
would like to be on that plane to Detroit!

We could be the stewardesses, they might need things.....
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 6:38 am

LOTS of things......

Love 2
Back to top Go down
gdennis59
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gdennis59

Male
Number of posts : 7415
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Todd Jones, Miguel Cabrera, Jeremy Bonderman, Max Scherzer, Scott Sizemore
Registration date : 2008-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 12:36 pm

now, its time for a pennant- and then some Smile
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/baseballer41001
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 1:27 pm

and a WS ring!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 30, 2008 4:53 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
LOTS of things......

Love 2

whistle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time to leave Florida!   Time to leave Florida! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Time to leave Florida!
Page 1 of 1