DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008

Go down 
+3
laprimamirala
Casey21
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Empty
PostSubject: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 10:12 pm

Friday, March 21, 2008
Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready'
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Florida -- "We're not ready yet."

After Friday's game, the Tigers have only six Florida games remaining. The regular season is fast approaching, and it looks like they'll have a strong team.

But. . .

"We're not ready yet," manager Jim Leyland said. "Usually the final week can drag out, and the players are really ready to go, but I don't think overall we're ready.

"It's a combination of everything. We're not to where I want them to be. I think we will be, though."

Part of that are the roster decisions Leyland has to make. There are still two bullpen spots to fill.

"But I'm also talking about the way we're pitching, the way we're hitting and the way we're running the bases. We have some guys still not swinging very good."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 11:16 pm

They certainly didn't look ready when they played this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 11:28 pm

That's for darn sure!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 4:52 pm

Saturday, March 22, 2008
Notebook
Leyland a bit concerned with Tigers' recent play
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Even before the Tigers lost their seventh consecutive exhibition Friday, manager Jim Leyland said about his team, "we're not ready yet."

After the 5-3 defeat to the Blue Jays, he still was saying it -- and thinking it.

"I haven't been impressed with us the last few days, to be honest with you," Leyland said. "We had only four hits and quietly didn't do much (against the Braves on Thursday), either. No, it doesn't look to me like we're ready.

"If we hit and pitch like that, we'll hardly win a game. But I don't think it will be that way."

Still, with spring training's finish line approaching, Leyland would like to see a different trend.

"Usually, the final week can drag out, and the players are really ready to go," he said. "But I don't think overall we're ready.

"I think we will be, but we're not to where I want them to be. I'm talking about the way we're pitching, the way we're hitting and the way we're running the bases."

Pudge the power hitter?

He's had an excellent spring, but Pudge Rodriguez also has had a different spring. That's because he's hit seven home runs, the seventh coming Friday.

"I've said this before, but I critique Pudge this spring the exact same way I have for the last two years," Leyland said.

"When he hits in the strike zone, he hits .320. When he chases bad balls, he doesn't hit (nearly as well). That's pretty much it in a nutshell."

But can power still be part of Rodriguez's game?

"He's stronger this year," Leyland said. "He's much stronger this year than he was last year.

"But I don't care about whether he hits home runs. I just want him to stay in the strike zone. If he does that, he'll hit doubles, triples, everything else because he's a good hitter with good hand action and good strength."

Inge looks solid at shortstop

Ryan Raburn didn't look out of place behind the plate Friday.

He won't catch a lot during the regular season. He might not even catch at all, but at least the Tigers know, as Leyland said, "he can be used there in an emergency."

Brandon Inge also didn't look out of place at shortstop. Then again, he's not looked out of place at any position he's played, a list that soon might include second base.

Leyland's purpose for playing Inge at short isn't to use him there instead of Ramon Santiago .

Leyland said made it clear before the game Santiago has made the team, and would be the choice if Edgar Renteria were to be out.

"If something unfortunately were to happen to Edgar for a month, are we better off with Santiago or Inge at short?" Leyland said. "That's why I'll play Inge there a little more this spring.

"I feel bad for Inge because what I'm doing to him is unfair. He's playing center, he's catching, he's playing third. That's not easy to do."

But only by being able to play multiple positions will Inge also get some at-bats.

"Not as many as he wants because he wants to play every day, and I don't blame him," Leyland said.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 5:22 pm

GEEZ! FINALLY SOMEBODY NOTICES THIS FREAKIN' ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM!
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 5:25 pm

LMAO Took him a few games Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 5:58 pm

they are just not acting like a team!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 7:53 pm

If we can't win in Spring Training how are we going to win once we start? We have a bunch of amazing players. We can succeed if they work hard and realize that they don't have much time left. They have a few games left, and then the games start to count
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 8:04 pm

Each of our fielders say they are ready for the season to begin, but it sure does not look like it. Leland better get on their cases and get the kinks worked out now!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 9:06 pm

Spring Training Games don't mean squat!

If my memory is correct, the 84 Tigers had a losing record in Spring Training Games.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 10:21 pm

Well, when you analyze Spring training, the reason for it is to:

1- get Pitchers loosened up so they can pitch full force in the reg season,
2- to refresh the batters timing and
3- to hone in their fielding skills.

On top of that, they are checking out the talent in the farm system. (note how they cycle our regular players out and put A, AA and AAA players in when the regular team has had a set number of at bats or pitches.)

So we really never see the team as it will be in Detroit.

GS is correct,
because of all this testing and stuff, they will not produce like they normally would. The more they are changing pitcher's assortment of fast balls, sliders, change-ups, ect, or batters mechanics, the more messed up their record is. Don't get me wrong, they still want to win these games, but notice how they may lose, but Leland is happy with a pitcher's performance... or a fielder's performance...

Another thing I read and also heard today is that Miggy never seems to do great in ST, but look at his record during the season. Plus they are really working on making him a great fielder to go with his batting. That can mess up a players mindset and effect his batting...

Look at who is winning the most games and who has more messed up records so far this spring...

TeamWLPCTGB
Tampa Bay145.737-
Florida168.667-
NY Mets168.667-
NY Yankees127.6322.0
St. Louis1210.5453.0
Atlanta1211.5223.5
Minnesota1211.5224.0
Cincinnati1213.4804.5
Houston1213.4804.5
Cleveland1112.4785.0
Detroit1112.4785.0
Philadelphia1013.4355.5
Washington1014.4176.0
Toronto913.4096.5
Baltimore812.4006.5
Boston711.3896.5
LA Dodgers915.3757.0
Pittsburgh815.3487.5
Who would expect Tampa Bay and Florida at the top -- Cleveland or Detroit in the middle and finally -- Boston or the Dodgers at the Bottom...

In the past we did not have as much access to viewing ST games on FSN or MLB.tv and we also did not have as much radio coverage. So ST is a foriegn animal to us.

When I think back to when I lived in FL, and my dad took my family to ST games, he said not to worry who wins, just watch how they train in the games. I forgot about him saying this until today. My dad has been dead for many years now, but he really knew his baseball. He coached High School ball for over 20 years and got to know a lot of the major league scouts so he learned a lot from them and from his sports and coachng career.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 12:37 am

Hug you always help me feel better!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 9:12 am

Now with Grandy out, they DEFINITELY aren't ready!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 am

it's like the team lost a limb!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 11:20 am

Well I don't think Grandy will make that big of a difference. We might lose a few games, but he is only supposed to be out for 2 weeks, meaning one week of normal season.

Once they get out there on opening day lets hope they get it together, even without Grandy.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 11:59 am

the pitching needs work...maybe more than we know...but Grandy not there makes it worse.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:05 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
but Grandy not there makes it worse.

I don't like inge, at all. But I think he will be able to cover CF. Not as well as Grandy, but he will get the job done.

And we need to look on the brightside. Picture this: Last two weeks of the regular season. Cleveland ahead by one game in the standings. Grandy breaks his finger

^ I believe this would be a lot worse. It happened at the beginning of the season, not the end. I think everyone will work out okay.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Don't you have school right now? lol
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:10 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
Don't you have school right now? lol
Nope! I don't have school all this week. And next monday my mom told me I don't have to go because "My grades are good and if I want to take a day off I can". lol Big Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:24 pm

ah! scholarship does have its advantages!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:27 pm

Yes it does! If I didn't have good grades my parents wouldn't let me....

1. Play guitar
2. Watch the tigers
or
3. Do anything with my friends.

So yes, it very much does!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Always remember that! especially in college, when the distractions loom VERY large...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008   Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Tigers' Leyland: 'We're not ready' - March 21, 2008
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: