DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Empty
PostSubject: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 20, 2008 1:25 pm

Another old movie for catbox to watch!

1938. James Cagney. Humphrey Bogart. Dead End Kids.

I couldn't remember the name of it before, but this is a very good movie. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I'll give a little bit about it...

It's about a guy, Rocky, (Cagney) who revisits New York. He meets up with his old friend who became a priest. The reminisce about the mischief they use to get into and the priest helps him out. Rocky meets up with some kids who consider him a legend. The priest is trying to straighten them out and asks Rocky to help out.

Meanwhile, Rocky gets into some trouble himself. They plot to kill him, but Rocky gets a record book of their bribes to the police. The priest finds out and goes public with the information. Now they want the priest dead, but Rocky kills them first protecting his friend.

Spoiler:
I give it a 96/100 (A) using no real formula.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedWed Mar 26, 2008 11:53 pm

So no one has seen this movie?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:00 am

bobrob2004 wrote:

Sorry

Hey wait a minute, it has Humphrey Bogart (I don't know why I didn't notice that the first time Smack ).

This will go on my list of to-see films. I swear I'll watch it at some point. When, I have no clue.

Also, if you liked this watch The Maltese Falcon. They both have Humphrey Bogart and The Maltese Falcon is absolutely brilliant. Easily the best movie I've reviewed so far (although I can think of two better movies - I'll review them at some point).
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:07 am

Humphrey Bogart isn't the star in this film though, James Cagney is. From the reviews I've seen, The Maltese Falcon sounds like a good movie. I defiantly want to see it now.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:17 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
Humphrey Bogart isn't the star in this film though,

I'll ignore that whistle

bobrob2004 wrote:
From the reviews I've seen, The Maltese Falcon sounds like a good movie. I defiantly want to see it now.

clap

If you don't want to download or stream it or rent it or buy it and you get Turner Classic Movies, set your calender for Apr 14, 10:15AM - they'll be airing it then.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:23 am

catbox_9 wrote:
bobrob2004 wrote:
Humphrey Bogart isn't the star in this film though,

I'll ignore that whistle

bobrob2004 wrote:
From the reviews I've seen, The Maltese Falcon sounds like a good movie. I defiantly want to see it now.

clap

If you don't want to download or stream it or rent it or buy it and you get Turner Classic Movies, set your calender for Apr 14, 10:15AM - they'll be airing it then.

That's an easy way to do it. Although I'll probably tape it and watch it at my convenience. You might have to send me a PM so I don't forget.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:41 am

You can go to tcm.com and they can send you an e-mail reminder. I signed up for several for movies coming up.

I only own 1 DVR so don't feel too bad. Do you own a DVD Player whistle
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

bobrob2004

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 10:00 am

catbox_9 wrote:
I only own 1 DVR so don't feel too bad. Do you own a DVD Player whistle

Nod It's attached to my VCR though LMAO
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 12:09 pm

I have a VCR hooked up here along with a DVR. No real DVD Player - just the one in my computer and my video game system. I've never owned a DVD player since video game consoles play them nowadays.

My Playstation 3 even plays Blu Ray whistle
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedSun Apr 13, 2008 2:54 am

bobrob2004 wrote:

I still haven't seen it but I'm less than 24 hours away from seeing it. I'd watch it tonight but my review schedule won't allow it - I wouldn't have anything to watch tomorrow. I'll instead watch this tomorrow and The Simpsons Movie tonight. Monday will be Singin' in the Rain :puke2: Musicals (probably) suck!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_minipostedSun Apr 13, 2008 5:56 pm

I just watched this. It turns out this movie is from a series:

Dead End, Crime School, Angels With Dirty Faces, They Made Me A Criminal, Hell's Kitchen, The Angels Wash Their Faces, and finally On Dress Parade. All of those movies have the Dead End kids. I'm not sure if the plots are related or anything. The first few have Humphrey Bogart, the second to last one has Ronald Reagan.

Anyways, this movie was a pretty good one. Bobrob2004 has already described the plot so I see no reason to do it again.

The movie basically deals with hero worshiping of criminals and redemption. The movie takes a while to set up but once it sets up it's pretty good. The key scene is at the end of the movie where the priest tells Rocky to die a coward to save the children.

I'm a terrible movie reviewer so I should probably wrap this up while I'm still ahead.

The story is entertaining and there are some themes worth noting. The plot drags at times and the acting is mostly good.

75/100
C

UP NEXT: Let's see how bad musicals are and try the best musical of all-time - Singin' in the Rain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938) Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Movies-
Jump to: