DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Empty
PostSubject: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu Mar 20, 2008 10:07 am

Dealing with father's death and his injuries, Yorman Bazardo has a painful spring

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • March 19, 2008

LAKELAND, Fla. -- All winter, father and son talked about a shared dream.

Yorman Bazardo had never made a major league Opening Day roster, and the 2008 Tigers represented his strongest chance. He pitched well in Detroit last year -- 2-1 with a 2.28 ERA in 11 games -- and was out of minor league options, which made him an especially strong candidate.

He and his father, Florencio, lived close together in Maracay, Venezuela, which allowed them to spend time together during the off-season. Both hoped to be at Comerica Park on March 31 -- Yorman on the third-base line for pregame introductions; Florencio in the stands.

"I wanted him to see me make the team," Bazardo said Tuesday. "He was very proud of me. He was hoping to see me this year."

Tragically, he won't have that chance.

Florencio, 70, became ill not long before spring training. He underwent surgery in his abdominal region, but the condition worsened.

In late February, around the time he was to start winning that roster spot in exhibition games, Yorman Bazardo received the awful news: His father had died.

Three weeks later, he is still grieving. "I miss him," he said.

For Bazardo, sadly, the emotional trauma of losing his father has been followed by physical discomfort. And it's not clear whether he will be completely healthy when the regular season begins.

The 23-year-old right-hander said he felt some tightness in his throwing arm during his first bullpen sessions, but it went away quickly. Then came the news from home.

Bazardo spent several days in Venezuela to attend the funeral. He believes the disruption to his throwing program "got me out of rhythm."

Soon after returning to Lakeland, Bazardo developed muscle tightness on the right side of his neck. The discomfort went on for a couple weeks and intensified during his most recent appearance Sunday against the New York Mets.

"It started feeling worse and worse," he said.

Bazardo finally told the trainers, and he was diagnosed with a muscle strain.

Meanwhile, a tooth on the right side of his mouth had become painful, and he later learned it was infected. He had it removed Tuesday morning.

Bazardo had been told that the pain in his tooth could be linked to the tightness in his neck. He hopes that is the case. Once the tooth is gone, maybe his neck will feel better, too.

Bazardo wants to pitch in the Tigers' next game, Thursday night against Atlanta. But team officials are sure to be as cautious with him as they have been with Fernando Rodney, the reliever who will begin the regular season on the disabled list with shoulder tendinitis.

"I hate being on the DL," Bazardo said. "That's why I didn't tell anybody about it (the muscle tightness). I was trying to get ready on my own.

"I'm still on schedule. My arm's feeling good. I'm fine."

Tigers officials must hope Bazardo's neck strain is just a temporary setback, because there has been little encouraging news about the bullpen in recent weeks: Rodney and Joel Zumaya are injured; Francisco Cruceta has remained in the Dominican Republic because of visa complications; Tim Byrdak allowed six earned runs Tuesday and has a spring ERA of 10.00.

Baseball aside, no one in the clubhouse has had a more trying spring than Bazardo. He thinks about his father often -- "All the time," he said -- and still wants nothing more than to be in Detroit when this wildly anticipated season begins, even though Opening Day can't possibly be as perfect as he had hoped.

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com. Check out his Tigers blog at www.freep.com/sports.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu Mar 20, 2008 2:52 pm

It's tough when you're close.
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_minipostedFri Apr 18, 2008 12:12 pm

Death is the toughest thing to deal with, no matter who you are.

I feel for this guy.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_minipostedFri Apr 18, 2008 1:19 pm

hopefully he will be kickin' things up again soon!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_minipostedThu Dec 18, 2008 12:07 am

Moved the thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker   Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Yorman Bazardo Career Tracker
Page 1 of 1