DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Any one not afraid of public speaking?

Go down 
+5
catbox_9
gs78
swiss_tiger
SoulRat
TigerLily
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female
Number of posts : 1848
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : How do I choose?
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Any one not afraid of public speaking? Empty
PostSubject: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 pm

I've got a presentation to do tomorrow in my English class. Has to be 7 minutes long and my topic's materialism, which isn't the problem. I can easily fill 7 minutes with useless jabber.

The problem is that I get horribly nervous. I'm not now, I'm very mellow even just thinking about it, I'm envisioning myself doing great, but as soon as it's my turn, I'm going to freak out.

Does anyone have any "public speaking" tips?

(And don't tell me to envision my audience naked because, well, puke )

Much appreciated, guys! Love 2
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:10 pm

Skip that class is my advice :haha: I get nervous to the point of puke when I have to get up before a group of people, unless I'm at the bar and I'm really drunk LMAO
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:16 pm

Actually i was kind of nervous too before i had to start a speech. But everytime i started, i was just very concentrated and everything went fine. I think the reason was that my preparation was very good all the time. I really knew a lot about the thing i had to talk about (much much much much more than the audience). And that gave me the calmness.

So my advice: You know so much more than the rest and you have prepared your speech very well. Just have confidence in that! Nod Nod

I keep my fingers crossed for your speech! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:50 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Skip that class is my advice :haha: I get nervous to the point of puke when I have to get up before a group of people, unless I'm at the bar and I'm really drunk LMAO

I WOULD skip but it's 100 points off of the assignment (which is only 200 points to begin with).
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:51 pm

swiss_tiger wrote:
Actually i was kind of nervous too before i had to start a speech. But everytime i started, i was just very concentrated and everything went fine. I think the reason was that my preparation was very good all the time. I really knew a lot about the thing i had to talk about (much much much much more than the audience). And that gave me the calmness.

So my advice: You know so much more than the rest and you have prepared your speech very well. Just have confidence in that! Nod Nod

I keep my fingers crossed for your speech! thumbs up

Thanks much, Swiss. I'll try to focus on that.
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Ugh sick

Good luck thumbs up
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 3:52 pm

SoulRat wrote:
Ugh sick

Good luck thumbs up

I'm going to need it.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 5:54 pm

Get up there and just be yourself! Relax! Talk to the class like you would to your family or friends.

Good Luck
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 8:33 pm

My advice: Go up there with a real apathetic attitude. Just feel like you don't care and be real nonchalant and voila, presentation complete and you'll probably end up doing a good job. Since you don't care you'll avoid mistakes such as repetitive use of "you know" or "umm..." etc.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 9:11 pm

I hate getting in front of groups and doing "Speaches" but I have been a college level teacher and a sunday school teacher and have had no problems. It is in how you look at the situation.

Do you know something the group NEEDS TO KNOW? If so, you talk to them like a "Teacher" or "Leader" that is explaining something useful to them.

In doing so, you will automatically begin to feel at ease. Also, find two or three people who seem interested in what you are saying and concentrate on talking to them, while glancing at others too. But since you are concentrating on a small number of people, it is more like just talking to a few friends.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 7:42 pm

I don't mind doing speaches for class or anything. I got used to them in 7th and 8th grade, they no longer bother me. I talk constantly anyway... lol
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 7:43 pm

But good luck!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 9:38 pm

I know this thread is from yesterday TigerLily and you probably already did your speech and I'm sure you did well.
I'm weird, I really like public speaking, I can speak in front of people I know or don't know, to me it's like acting or something, which I also like. However, if I'm around 1 or 2 people I don't really know, I have trouble talking to new people in a small setting, lol. CRAZY
The best thing you can do is really know what you're talking about and make it interesting. Even joke or say something funny about your topic if that's ok. Too many people get up there and sound so monotone. And like other people were saying, focus on people that are looking at you and make eye contact, or act like you are talking to friends. And remember, some people are probably as nervous as you and aren't even listening because they're so worried about their own speech!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 9:40 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
I know this thread is from yesterday TigerLily and you probably already did your speech and I'm sure you did well.
I'm weird, I really like public speaking, I can speak in front of people I know or don't know, to me it's like acting or something, which I also like. However, if I'm around 1 or 2 people I don't really know, I have trouble talking to new people in a small setting, lol. CRAZY

OMG! Thats how I am! lol Big Smile
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 9:47 pm

tigersgirl wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:

high 5 Glad to know there's someone else like me, lol
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 9:52 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
tigersgirl wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:

Make that three of us! Group Hug

How is it that many of us that go into teaching are really introverts in small groups of new people, yet we can function in front of many just fine???? scratch
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm not in teaching, so that i don't apply to. lol. I don't plan to be a teacher either.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 10:00 pm

tigersgirl wrote:
I'm not in teaching, so that i don't apply to. lol. I don't plan to be a teacher either.

That's ok, you never know what you will be doing years from now. It may not be teaching, but you may have to do some sort of public speaking....

Yet we all experence small group phobias! LMAO
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 10:05 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Yes, that and for me, clowns. *shudders* I hate those things.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 10:09 pm

tigersgirl wrote:
GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Yes, that and for me, clowns. *shudders* I hate those things.

YAY! I hate clowns enough I don't even like parades. I don't know what happened in my past, but I want to cry at parades and hate it when the clown come by!

confused
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 pm

I HATE clowns. When I was really little I saw the movie 'It'. If i had not have seen it then it wouldn't scare me now, but i can't watch the movie now and i see a clown and get the feeling that i want to run and hide.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 11:37 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
tigersgirl wrote:

That's ok, you never know what you will be doing years from now. It may not be teaching, but you may have to do some sort of public speaking....

No kidding, none of us know what we'll be doing years from now in today's job world confused I may not even be teaching if I can't get a job somewhere...... Who knows what the hell I'll be doing lol2
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedWed Mar 19, 2008 11:40 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:
tigersgirl wrote:
iluvpudge7 wrote:

Make that three of us! Group Hug

How is it that many of us that go into teaching are really introverts in small groups of new people, yet we can function in front of many just fine???? scratch

:shrug: I'm not really a people person at all, I'm a total loner-type person and prefer to be by myself a lot. Yet when I do go out or am around my friends, I have a lot of fun and am totally loud and obnoxious sometimes confused lol2
Back to top Go down
TigerLily
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
TigerLily

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedThu Mar 20, 2008 12:20 am

Thud < Out of exhaustion.

Well today was interesting to say the least.

My class was at 11am and I was scheduled to be 9th to present... on the way to class our car ran out of gas (the gas gauge is *borken* lol) so I was late, I got into class just as the teacher was erasing my name off the list. One kid presented ahead of me and at that point I just didn't care so, in a way, I followed your advice cat!

LMAO

I was up to 3:30 last night finishing that damn speech and all I kept thinking this morning was "Watch, we're going to break down or something".
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedThu Mar 20, 2008 12:24 am

Sounds like "one of those days". Maybe breaking down actually helped because by the time you got there, you were like, "whatever", and calm, lol
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 am

TigerLil, hope it went okay.
I can't brag, can just tell you what I do. I'm a cantor every weekend in church, which means I have to lead the community in song plus sing 1 song by myself. Have done this for 20+ years, for crowds up to 1000 or so, and I must admit the "slightly tired, lackadasical attitude" works best. When I get knock-kneed, I know I'm not prepared. If you know your stuff well, that's half the battle! There will be opportunities like that all through life.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 8:05 pm

You should sing something for us Lap and put it on here!!!! clap
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 9:14 pm

UR2 kind! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 9:20 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
You should sing something for us Lap and put it on here!!!! clap

I 2nd that! whistle
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_minipostedFri Mar 21, 2008 9:31 pm

wish my technical skills were of that caliber!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any one not afraid of public speaking?   Any one not afraid of public speaking? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Any one not afraid of public speaking?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: