DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Any computer experts out there?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Any computer experts out there? Empty
PostSubject: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 6:24 pm

There's something seriously wrong with my computer all the sudden.

The screen has a redish tint to it and it's somewhat difficult to see much of anything. If I plug in it into the power thing the screen gets super dark and it's basically impossible to read anything. Even when it isn't plugged in this happens after a few minutes and I have to put the computer in hibernate and then wake it up in order to see anything. I have papers due this week for finals and I can't access my computer for more than a few minutes at a time. Am I totally Censored here or is there something I can do?

UPDATE: As I'm in the middle of typing this message it happened again. I can't even see what I wrote so forgive me if there's spelling errors or something. I'll check back every now and then and see if there's any posts here. If I don't reply it's only because I can't use the computer for more than 5 minutes or so at a time Sad rant
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 6:33 pm

more info: if I shine a flashlight on the screen I can sort of see. I wonder how long these batteries will last?

ALSO: Yes, I adjusted the brightness already, I'm not that stupid.

EDIT: Hey, a lamp helps, too. That's better than the flashlight but still pretty bad.

Last edited by catbox_9 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 6:38 pm

uh oh... I had this happen to me, the exact same thing and I had to replace the monitor Frown
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 6:43 pm

SoulRat wrote:
uh oh... I had this happen to me, the exact same thing and I had to replace the monitor Frown

Hey, I can read this (thanks to my trusty flashlight).

But it's a laptop - how can you replace the "montitor". I have a 15 page paper due tomorrow. It's basically done I just have to edit it and e-mail it to the professor. It took me like 10 minutes to read the 2 sentences you wrote to me, I can't imagine trying to edit a 15 page paper this way.

This really sucks. All morning my internet didn't work and I was pissed off and kept calling the internet company and the machine said there was no such person at my phone number and I couldn't get a real person. I went to school until the libraries closed and come back and the internet worked PARTY!

That celebration didn't last long - I had lunch and when I came back I thought the screensaver was on but it wasn't No
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 6:50 pm

well since it's a laptop, I have no idea then, sorry Frown
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 7:06 pm

SoulRat wrote:
well since it's a laptop, I have no idea then, sorry Frown

/me commits suicide Halloween RIP
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 7:07 pm

See if you can borrow someones monitor and plug it into the laptop. If you can see, then something is dying in the laptop screen. (this happened to my stupid HP laptop after the warranty ran out!)

If that does not work, your computer may be over heating due to dust inside (use compressed air can to blow it out, through the heat openings) or the processor fan may be dead, overheating the system.

Or, you had a power surge through your internet or power lines, frying the video circuit.

If it is the screen, you can do like I did and just use a secondary monitor. (LCD replacement repair inserts normally cost more than buying a new cheapy computer or an LCD monitor!)
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 7:21 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
See if you can borrow someones monitor and plug it into the laptop. If you can see, then something is dying in the laptop screen. (this happened to my stupid HP laptop after the warranty ran out!)

If that does not work, your computer may be over heating due to dust inside (use compressed air can to blow it out, through the heat openings) or the processor fan may be dead, overheating the system.

Or, you had a power surge through your internet or power lines, frying the video circuit.

If it is the screen, you can do like I did and just use a secondary monitor. (LCD replacement repair inserts normally cost more than buying a new cheapy computer or an LCD monitor!)

I *think* I read your message.

The power surge thing might be it. I was using my computer this morning and my screen got black. I shut the laptop and opened it and it seemed fine. The internet was no longer working at this point and I didn't stick around to see how the screen was working. When I came back the computer was asleep, I woke it up and the internet worked so I had lunch. When I got back on the computer after lunch I noticed the problem.

THat makes me think the video circuit is fried .

My neighbors don' own a patch cord that would allow me to test it on a TV or another monitor. I don't own one either. I guess I'll go home tomorrow night after I fail my finals that I can't study for. I mean I have the books, but who studies with books these days?

Back to the matter at hand, if I go home tomorrow I'll buy a cord and see if it works on another monitor/TV and then I'll price what repairs would cost. I really don't want to buy another computer right now, especially a laptop as we have so many computers at home I really don't need another one. If the repair is going to cost a fortune that doesn't seem like a good idea either. Why couldn't this have waited until September? Then I won't need a laptop anymore so who cares if this one dies.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedMon May 12, 2008 11:51 pm

UPDATE:

I bought a new backlight. Wow! LCD screens are very complicated when you open them up :haha:

Here's some pictures to give you an idea of what I went through (stock photos, I didn't take these):

Any computer experts out there? TAB

Any computer experts out there? CCFL_1

Any computer experts out there? CCFL_5

Any computer experts out there? CCFL_7

Any computer experts out there? CCFL_11

After all that it was loads of fun putting it all back together Rolling Eyes I have about 20 screws that I couldn't figure out where they went. The laptop almost works. I have some strange lines on the screen and the right side of the screen is all white. If I think of it I'll take a picture later.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 12:13 am

Good luck, you are more adventursome than I! LMAO If the screen is white on the side where you put the backlight, it sounds like it is not seated correctly, or some of the contacts are not properly lined up yet.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 4:07 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
Good luck, you are more adventursome than I! LMAO If the screen is white on the side where you put the backlight, it sounds like it is not seated correctly, or some of the contacts are not properly lined up yet.

So I have to take it apart again Crying or Very sad

I might just leave it as-is for a while. I'm using a monitor in LA and when I'm not here 80% of the screen is still usable, maybe even 90%.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 2:54 pm

catbox, you are a born surgeon!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_minipostedTue May 13, 2008 3:05 pm

:haha:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any computer experts out there?   Any computer experts out there? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Any computer experts out there?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: WHATEVER!-
Jump to: