DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Empty
PostSubject: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedSun Mar 16, 2008 10:27 pm

03/16/2008 6:27 PM ET
Bautista, Bazardo among candidates without Minors options
By Jason Beck / MLB.com

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- What had been a decision for manager Jim Leyland on two bullpen spots is now down to one. It doesn't mean that Fernando Rodney's outlook has changed, but it means Leyland has decided one of the spots.

"I've got my team already with the exception of one guy," Leyland said. "I've got 24."

That's as specific as Leyland would get on it.

"I'm not announcing anything," he said Sunday morning before the Tigers took on the Rays at Al Lang Field. "I'm just telling you, I've got 24 players. I've got one spot to go yet. The only reason you don't announce anything is that there could be a trade, we could pick somebody up."

Sunday's comments come on the heels of Saturday's loss to the Yankees. Denny Bautista pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings on one hit and a strikeout in that game, stretching his scoreless Spring Training to 9 1/3 innings on four hits with three walks and nine strikeouts.

Bautista is out of Minor League options, as is Yorman Bazardo, who allowed three runs on four hits and three walks over 2 1/3 innings on Sunday afternoon against the Mets in Port St. Lucie, Fla. Aquilino Lopez, meanwhile, tossed two perfect innings to give him nine innings with two runs allowed so far this spring. Preston Larrison, who pitched on Saturday, and Freddy Dolsi, who gave up three runs to the Mets on Sunday, are also believed to be candidates.

One potential trade that complicates the Tigers' roster -- whether it happens or not -- is Brandon Inge, who remains on the block with two weeks to go before Opening Day. Inge started at third base for the Tigers' split-squad against the Rays, while Miguel Cabrera started against the Mets.

Jason Beck is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 11:38 am

Bautista should be in for sure!!

I suspect Leyland is awaiting word on Cruceta before finalizing anything with the pen. Could a trade be in the works though??
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 11:45 am

tigersaint wrote:
Bautista should be in for sure!!

I suspect Leyland is awaiting word on Cruceta before finalizing anything with the pen. Could a trade be in the works though??

I sure like Bautista, so far!

Trade rumors have been circulatining through the Tigers organization.....

One starts to wonder what is in Cruceta's past that would hold up his visa. All the other teams have gotten their player visa problems worked out. Normally it is something like drunk driving, or such, that causes this!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 12:23 pm

From the Detroit News -

Monday, March 17, 2008
Tigers: Notebook

Closer look at the boxscores

Marcus Thames, who started at first base, hit his third home run of the spring, while Gary Sheffield and Brandon Inge each had doubles.

Of three relievers who followed Willis, only Aquilino Lopez pitched well.

"He's done pretty well," Leyland said of Lopez, 32, a right-hander who pitched in 10 games last season for the Tigers. He has experience. He's not afraid of a big league bat. He's capable of making pitches."

Right-hander Denny Bautista, who has yet to allow a run this spring, remains with Lopez among the favorites to make off with two bullpen spots available.

In the other split-squad game, in Port St. Lucie, the Mets beat the Tigers, 7-4.

Around the horn

Leyland, on Sheffield, who during the past week has been swinging the bat in vintage fashion: "I'm encouraged because he can take some consistent at-bats. He's coming around, which is a real good sign."

Sheffield got a late start in camp because of depositions as part of a legal tussle with his former agent, Scott Boras.

The Tigers play their first televised game of the spring today, at 1:05 p.m. against the Reds on FSN Detroit.

You can reach Lynn Henning at (313) 222-2472 lynn.henning@ detnews.com.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 12:24 pm

GO TIGS
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 12:36 pm

Apparently while with Texas, Cruceta tested positive for some banned substance but I can't find out what it is...or was.

That could be the problem.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_minipostedSat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 am

...and they just aren't calling a spade a spade.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots   Leyland decides one of last 'pen spots Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: