DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Empty
PostSubject: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:27 pm

By Erik Matuszewski

March 11 (Bloomberg) -- Comedian Billy Crystal will sign a one-day contract with the New York Yankees and play in a spring- training game against the Pittsburgh Pirates on March 13, one day before his 60th birthday.

Crystal is a New York native and lifelong Yankees' fan who frequently attends games at Yankee Stadium. In 2001, he directed and produced the film ``*61,'' which chronicled Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle as they sought to break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record in 1961.

Crystal's minor-league contract was approved by Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig and he'll join the Yankees tomorrow for workouts at the team's training facility in Tampa, Florida, according to a statement from the team.

``I've been waiting 50 years for this call,'' said Crystal, who will wear uniform No. 60. ``I'm overwhelmed by the generosity of the Yankees and Commissioner Selig. I know this (will) be tougher than the Broadway Softball League, but I'm looking forward to helping the younger players, which, by the way, is all of them.''

Crystal was the captain of his high school baseball team in New York and batted .348 during his senior season.

``The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team, known for his humor and wit as well as his undying love for the Yankees,'' Yankees Chief Operating Officer Lonn Trost said in a statement. ``The Yankees are very grateful to the commissioner's office for allowing us to extend this special invitation to Mr. Crystal.''

Country music singer Garth Brooks played in spring training games for the San Diego Padres in 1999, the New York Mets in 2000 and the Kansas City Royals in 2004 to raise money for his children's charity. He had 2 hits in 47 at-bats.
Back to top Go down
TrammMan
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
TrammMan

Male
Number of posts : 90
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Granderson- NON TIGER Carlos Pena
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:50 pm

i hate it when they do stuff like this. yes, its ST but still. it makes the greatest sport in the world look kind of lame having these hacks pretend they can do something.

austin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:51 pm

LOL funny Smile Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 8:52 pm

Quote :
In 2001, he directed and produced the film
``*61,'' which chronicled Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle as they sought
to break Babe Ruth's single-season home run record in 1961.

And the thing that gets me is, this film was not shot in Yankee Stadium, they used TIGER STADIUM and tried to make it look like yankee stadium!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 4:27 pm

And I saw them make the movie from the stands! Had free hot dogs and coke. Never saw myself in the movie, though.

Personally I think it is stupid when they let guys like Billy Crystal or Garth Brooks try out for a day or get an a bat.

Didn't the Tigers once do this with Tom Selleck?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedThu Mar 13, 2008 11:22 pm

gs78 wrote:
Didn't the Tigers once do this with Tom Selleck?

Yes, here is a news blog about it:

Tuesday, March 11, 2008
By: Greg Eno Location: Madison Heights, Michigan
Long Before Crystal, Sparky Gave Selleck A Shot

He actually looked pretty darn good in the batter's box -- his lefthanded stance appearing competent and big league-like. And not like a pitcher with a bat. He looked position player-ish.

Actor Tom Selleck, dressed in the creamy whites of the Detroit Tigers, stood in against the Reds' Tim Layana in spring training, 1992 -- and I remember watching the at-bat. Perhaps on purpose, Selleck's appearance coincided with a rare spring TV game, beamed back to Detroit.

Layana didn't baby Selleck, and the 47-year-old Detroit native didn't go down easily. Selleck struck out, but not before fouling off several pitches -- much to the delight of the Lakeland crowd, especially the females, no doubt.

Selleck was preparing to shoot a baseball movie, and figured his hometown Tigers would be the most logical choice to hang out with as he got himself ready for the role. Selleck, as you recall, used to wear a Tigers cap religiously while playing in Magnum, PI. Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammell even had bit roles in one episode, in their playing heyday.

And who can forget country singer Garth Brooks and his frequent flings in spring training, with a variety of clubs?

Tigers manager Sparky Anderson was more than happy to indulge Selleck, who was a lifelong fan of the team.

Thursday, actor Billy Crystal will suit up for the Yankees, playing in a spring training game. His appearance will come one day before his 60th birthday. Crystal, like Selleck, will get a chance to don the uniform of his boyhood team.

I have no problem with such stunts -- and let's face it, that's what it is -- in meaningless games. No harm, and the fans get a kick out of it. The chance of injury is slim.

Of course, just as Layana no doubt didn't want to be known as the pitcher who gave up a hit to a 47-year-old actor, whomever Crystal faces is sure to bear down as well. No Denny McLain-like grooves down the middle, as if Crystal was Mickey Mantle in 1968. Unlikely, anyway.

I had nearly forgotten about Selleck's celebrated at-bat until the news broke of Crystal's romp, which brought those Magnum memories back. Good memories, I might add.

Spring training can use something right about now -- with three weeks still remaining.

About the writer:
Freelance writer, journalist, editor, and self-anointed Detroit sports historian, who's been covering and/or following the Motor City teams since 1970. I also once tried to contribute to The Onion, but I was put off by their stuffy rules, so I decided to start my own satirical sports site, Spoiled Sports (warmedoversports. blogspot.com) Two can play at that game, I reckon.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_minipostedFri Mar 14, 2008 5:59 pm

I thought so.

Thanks for the article!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game   Billy Crystal to Join Yankees, Play in Spring-Training Game Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1