DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Lentil Soup

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 1:26 am

Here's a recipe so simple even I can't screw it up!

Take 1.5 cups of lentils and put them in a pan. Add water to cover the lentils and bring to a boil (this takes forever for some reason). Boil for 2 min. and let stand (not boiling) for 1 hr.

Next, sauté an onion in olive oil (or other oil if you prefer). Add garlic (anywhere from a clove to a head) and sauté that, too. Add the mixture to the lentils. Sauté a carrot or two and add that to the lentils.

Now, add some other veggies to the lentils. I added a carrot but celery would probably go good, too. I also added 3 potatoes (peeled) but there's no right or wrong answer here. Add some spices (I added cumin powder, crushed red pepper, and black pepper) of your choosing. Add water so that the pan is fairly full and heat until the soup is the consistency you want. I added some cilantro and I'm sure anything similar would be good, too (thyme, bay leaves, oregano, etc.).

This is meat-free for all you non-meat eaters, Kosher, and healthy. Most importantly, it tastes like food!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedTue Mar 11, 2008 3:47 pm

clap Thanks catbox, I'm gonna try that!!!!!
Anybody else got any good vegetarian recipes????
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 am

iluvpudge7 wrote:
clap Thanks catbox, I'm gonna try that!!!!!
Anybody else got any good vegetarian recipes????

Enjoy!

As for more veggie recipes, I'm not a vegetarian, but this is what I have daily for lunch:

Take a standard bowl. Add 3 CORN tortillas to fill the bottom. Next, add 4 spoonfuls of refried beans (see my recipe in the recipe thread). Next, add 2-4 spoonfuls of rice (I use non-instant brown rice but I don't add salt or butter when making it). To make this better, add 2-3 spoonfuls of frozen corn (I use frozen sweet corn). Next, add crushed red pepper and cheese (optional). Get another corn tortilla and put it on top.

Microwave for 2:17ish and remove from microwave. To make this taste better still, add some shredded cabbage (I buy it in a bag - it's super cheap) and 2 spoonfuls of fat-free sour cream (optional).

You can add jalapeños if you want. You could remove the crushed red pepper if you're a wimp not a fan of them.

Enjoy!
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 5:34 pm

I make stuff similar to that. I could eat tortillas and beans and all that stuff everyday too!!! And the HOTTER the better!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 6:17 pm

iluvpudge7 wrote:
And the HOTTER the better!!!! lol

Yeah! Habanero peppers are good, too.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Sounds Good! But I might get heartburn later! lol!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedWed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm

Tums will fix that...and it's a good source of calcium, too Nod
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_minipostedTue Mar 18, 2008 8:12 am

Now yer talkin' my language, catbox!! (I've been vegetarian since 1993)
Here's an unbeliveably simple recipe that we use for church soup suppers. I call it Dump Soup only because that's what you do...dump cans into a crock pot and simmer for at least 6 hours:
1 can each of:
chickpeas
kidney beans
black beans
navy beans
pumpkin
mild green peppers (Mexican brand)
diced tomatoes

Don't drain the liquid. You can add hotter peppers if you like more spice. Nothing else needed...there's plenty of salt and seasoning already in that stuff! Use the 8 or 16 oz cans depending on the size of your crock pot. What we liked is you can tailor it to your preference of bean amount or variety.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lentil Soup Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lentil Soup   Lentil Soup Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Lentil Soup
Page 1 of 1