DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 5:33 pm

Nice Picture in the D etroit News Sports Section of Ramon Santiago sliding home as Thames and Larry Vanover[ wearing an old school style umpire coat] watch.

You won't see that at Comerica this season.

Too hot for that. And even if it was cold, Umpires that kick it old school [ when they work the plate] like Vanover, Joe West, Ed Rapuano and Alfonso Marquez won't be working games at Comerica Park. Selig have them working Cleveland, Chicago or New York.

Last time that happened was when Marquez worked Game 2 of the 06 World Series

Tigers always get umpires for games at the COPA; like Tim McClelland,Derrryl Cousins, Bruce Froemming, Wally Bell or Doug Eddings who all wear short sleeve black shirts knit shirts [ forget the light blue ones] no matter how cold it is behind the plate

or Chuck Merriwether or Mike Reilly who wear those long sleeve knit black shirts when it is chilly while the base umpires wear softball style pullover jackets

Get rid of the softball garb and go back to wearing light blue dress shirts and coats
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 5:38 pm

59 in Lakeland yesterday; Be 85 Opening Day here
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 5:46 pm

I like those outside chest protects the best. Those were cool!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 5:55 pm

Can't wear those no more! Jerry Neudecker was the last ump in 1985 to wear the Big Balloon style protector. According to wikipedia, Since 1977; every umpire that has entered MLB has to wear the inside chest protector; Joe Brinkman, who recently retired, was the last umpire [ among current MLB umps] to have worn it wear it earlier in his career back in the 70s. He switched in the early 80's.

Don Denkingker and Larry McCoy were the first AL umpires to make the switch in the mid 70s

The NL umpires always wore the inside ones.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 5:56 pm

I like old-fashioned umpires with ties, too. Those were cool.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:02 pm

Nod
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:04 pm

They stopped wearing ties in the 70s in the NL; and early 80's for the AL. Bill Haller and George Maloney were among the last AL umps to wear ties.

Mike Reilly and Derryl Cousins are the last current umpires that wore burgundy umpire coats in the late 70s
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:05 pm

Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Umps3

Now that's a cool look for an umpire! That's Cy Rigler (NL 1906-1922 1924-1935).
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 pm

I like the turtleneck shirts they wore in the 80s under the coats myself.

They need to dress like that again!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Sure is Catbox!

Thanks for the photo
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

Here's HOF Umpire Al Barlick:

Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Umpire_Al_Barlick

In case you thought that was a type-o, yes, they DO allow umpires in the HOF.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:07 pm

gs78 wrote:

Thanks for the photo

No problem. I added another one.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Here's some umpires in blue. On the left is Chuck Meriwether. At center, Mark Hirschbeck. At far right, Tim McClelland - my favorite MLB umpire (and native Michigander!)

Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Dunn_zoom
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:37 pm

How tall is Hirschbeck? 5 feet 3 ? He looks like a midget
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:39 pm

gs78 wrote:
How tall is Hirschbeck? 5 feet 3 ? He looks like a midget

5'9'' 180 lbs.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:48 pm

Damn I am 5-9! I would be that small compared to Merriwether , McClelland and the Reds player in the background;

Were those guys Basketball Ball players?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:50 pm

Maybe they're standing on their tip toes to make him look shorter than he really is?

I'm somewhere in the 5'10'' range myself (give or take an inch) so I wouldn't be much taller.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Of course I weigh 235 pounds! But that is another story
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:57 pm

LOL!

I haven't weighed myself in years. My driver's license says I weigh 150 but I highly doubt that's right. When I filled out the form when I was 15 it was probably close, but that was 5 years ago.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 7:58 pm

Don't have that in Michigan! Just height, eye color and of course address, city etc etc
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:00 pm

What's stupid is they ask for all that stuff, but don't verify its accuracy. Hell, even sex they don't verify - you just fill in a bubble.

I'll bet I could get a license that had my address, name, and then said I was female, 7'10'', 90 pounds, blonde hair [mine isn't], blue eyes [mine aren't] and they'd print it for me.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:11 pm

With our govt slowly going to a national Drivers Lic, we will see them checking a lot more stuff. Ohio is getting very picky now. I have to renew mine in April and I have to bring my birth cert. and proof of residence. We also have to have a special card to vote now.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:13 pm

CA doesn't do any of that. When my license expired last year they sent me a new one no questions asked.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:16 pm

Wow we still need to take vision tests to renew. Which is actually a good idea. Don't want blind people driving!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 pm

I think you can be blind and still pass the one in CA. The letters are like 8 feet tall and you stand like 5 feet away.

Okay, it's not that easy but your eyes would have to be so bad it's not even funny to not be able to read it.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:28 pm

Wow!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:41 pm

But then again, all kinds of stuff has changed in Ohio since we got our liberal new Dem. Govnr. Strickland.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:47 pm

Change is not always good either!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:54 pm

No, the first thing he did was freeze medicaid. If someone gets sick and really needs it, tough luck. If you have it, you can keep it, but they took away over half the benefits. Really hurts the poor ill residents.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_minipostedThu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 pm

Ridiculous! Yet we continue to put people like that in elected office.

Makes me sad that Ron Paul was not successful!

But that is another story!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday   Umpire Larry Vanover  wore his umpire coat yesterday Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Umpire Larry Vanover wore his umpire coat yesterday
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: