DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Empty
PostSubject: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedMon Feb 25, 2008 7:43 pm

TIGERS SPRING TRAINING

Matt Mantei looking 'nasty' in return to the big leagues

By JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • February 25, 2008

At the start of spring training, Matt Mantei pointed to Sunday's live batting practice session as a critical point in his return to pitching. After throwing bullpen sessions every other day for more than a week, he figured, facing hitters would be a big test.

And he passed. "I made it," he said, smiling.

It had been almost two years since Mantei, a 34-year-old right-hander, pitched against a live hitter. On Sunday, though, he demonstrated why he is a viable candidate to be in the bullpen on Opening Day. Brandon Inge, who stood in the batter's box against him, said Mantei's stuff was as good "as I've seen in a long time."

"Nasty," Inge said.

CAN'T TOUCH DENNY: Tigers hitters managed one awkward swing after another against right-hander Denny Bautista on Sunday. Bautista is known for his fastball -- he threw around 98 m.p.h. during the Dominican Winter League, he said -- but he also showed a knee-buckling curve.

After observing a series of Bautista's fastballs, third baseman Miguel Cabrera playfully yelled back to the mound. "He said, 'Hey, what are you doing? Just go easy,' " Bautista said.

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Feb 26, 2008 3:22 am

"After observing a series of Bautista's fastballs, third baseman Miguel Cabrera playfully yelled back to the mound. "He said, 'Hey, what are you doing? Just go easy,' " Bautista said."

Sounds to me like the Tigers have some great chemistry going, considering the major trades this off season. It's a great feeling knowing that these guys can go out there and have fun with each other the way they are and still be one of the most dangerous teams in all of baseball. I'll admit....I was almost a little concerned about the chemistry not being there this year...but obviously it is.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Feb 26, 2008 7:34 am

Quote :
CAN'T TOUCH DENNY: Tigers hitters managed one awkward swing after another against right-hander Denny Bautista
on Sunday. Bautista is known for his fastball -- he threw around 98
m.p.h. during the Dominican Winter League, he said -- but he also
showed a knee-buckling curve.

I'm glad to see Bautista throwing this well!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Feb 26, 2008 8:16 am

and glad to see Matt "made it" on the team he wants to play for.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 1:01 pm

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Pitcher Mantei ends comeback try with Tigers
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Matt Mantei, the veteran relief pitcher who gave it one last try with the Tigers this spring, has retired.

Shortly after the Tigers' bus left for Kissimmee on Tuesday, leaving behind only those players not scheduled to play, Mantei showed up at the clubhouse and said his good-byes.

He hugged several players, shook hands with several more, then headed for a game of golf and to enjoy the rest of his life, knowing he'd gone as far as he could possibly go with his comeback.

"This is it," he said. "I'm done. I threw a pitch the other day, felt something give and could barely lift my arm the next morning. Whatever was in there, holding on to the last string, finally gave."

Earlier in camp, Mantei had been impressive. His old velocity, which enabled him to save more than 20 games twice in the majors -- including 29 for Arizona in 2003 -- not only looked back, but was back.

"That's as good as you can throw," Brandon Inge said about him after a bullpen session.

"I'd been excited," said Mantei. "I really thought I had a good chance this year."

But all the while, there was the chance, if not the likelihood, that one of the old problems in his arm would show up again. In other words, there weren't nine different arm injuries listed under his name in the Tigers' information guide for nothing.

And sure enough, one of the problems came back.

"I didn't even go to the doctor to find out what it was," said Mantei, 34. "I knew it was over. I had felt so good, thought everything was going well, but know what? I gave it a shot. I tried.

"I'd known before I didn't have much rotator cuff left but I did everything I could to make it as strong as I could, to make it last. Just wasn't to be. I'm cool with it, though. I'm going home (to Stevensville, Mich.) to be a dad again.

"My son doesn't know I'm coming home yet, so he'll be pleased. Plus he's only 5, can't read yet, so he won't know what I'm saying now. It's going to be a surprise. That will be fun."

Is Mantei going home disappointed?

To some extent, but more important than that, he's going home with an answer.

"I tried to find a comfortable arm slot after I felt what I felt in my shoulder," he said. "I could not find one. I wasn't going to find one.

"This is difficult. I'm going to miss it. But I gave it every ounce I had."
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 1:05 pm

ashamed now I'm really confused!! wasn't this the guy that was begging, pleading to come back? This is a bit sudden...
Back to top Go down
Ohios#1TigerFan
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
Ohios#1TigerFan

Male
Number of posts : 1473
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Placido, Thames, Miggy, B.Inge

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 1:06 pm

Crying or Very sad And I was hoping for his arm to hold out and add some depth to our pen. Best wishes Matt! You gave it your best...and best of all...Retired as a Tiger!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 1:12 pm

the only way to retire!
Back to top Go down
Casey21
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Lakeland Flying Tiger
Casey21

Female
Number of posts : 503
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Sean Casey . . . oh dang he's a Red Sox now!
Registration date : 2007-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 3:11 pm

I am sorry that it didn't work out for Matt. I was really hoping that he would make it back. On the bright side, nothing beats going home to be a dad! Best of luck to Matt and his family.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_minipostedTue Mar 04, 2008 5:58 pm

at least he gave it his best shot. Nothing worse than sitting around wondering what might have been....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista   Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Matt Mantei (retires again) & Denny Bautista
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: