DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers Empty
PostSubject: Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers   Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers Icon_minipostedSun Feb 24, 2008 10:29 pm

TIGERS CORNER
Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers; Fernando Rodney injury update

BY JON PAUL MOROSI • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • February 24, 2008

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Tigers manager Jim Leyland may determine his pitchers for the first games of the spring schedule as early as today. And those who throw in Tuesday's exhibition against Florida Southern College could see a familiar last name on the opposing lineup card.

Colin Kaline, grandson of Hall of Famer Al Kaline, is Florida Southern's starting second baseman.

"It might be the only time I pull for an opposing player against the Tigers," Al Kaline said Friday.

Al Kaline has been in uniform throughout spring training, in his role as an adviser to president/general manager Dave Dombrowski. He doesn't plan to say anything to the Detroit pitchers about the possibility of facing his grandson -- or vice versa -- in the annual game.

"I'm just going to let it play out," Kaline said. "I don't know what his feelings are. I'm sure he'd like to get a base hit. If he doesn't, that's not an embarrassment at all. They're seeing some pretty good pitching."

Colin Kaline, a freshman, has started in 10 of the Moccasins' first 12 games after starring at Birmingham Groves. He was batting .250 (9-for-36) with six RBIs entering Saturday's games against Nova Southeastern. Detroit selected him in the 25th round of last year's amateur draft, but he elected to honor his commitment to attend school.

STILL UNDER REPAIR: Reliever Fernando Rodney confirmed on Saturday what had seemed likely after he experienced shoulder tightness during the week: His right arm won't be ready when the Tigers' exhibition season opens this week.

Rodney, who is being counted on to fill a vital role this season, said he may be ready to throw a bullpen session by next weekend -- at the earliest.

Meanwhile, the team hopes its other lingering bullpen issue -- Francisco Cruceta's delayed arrival -- will be resolved soon. Dombrowski said he expects Cruceta to arrive in Lakeland this week. Cruceta has yet to report because of a delay in obtaining his visa from the Dominican Republic.

TOOLMAN THOMAS: Clete Thomas, who primarily batted leadoff and played centerfield at Double-A Erie last year, has several attributes common to players who earn call-ups during the season. He bats left-handed, runs well, and is capable of playing sound defense at all three outfield positions. Most important, he has impressed Leyland this spring.

"He's one of those tough, hard-nosed players that's going to make himself a big-league player," Leyland said. "He can run. He can throw. He's got more tools than you think. And I think he's going to hit.

"I like him. I'm not saying he's going to be a star, but I think he'll play in the big leagues -- probably for us."

CAN I BORROW YOUR GLOVE? Leyland said Ryan Raburn will play "all over" the field during the exhibition season -- including catcher. Raburn doesn't have a catcher's glove of his own but said Saturday that he plans to ask Brandon Inge if he can borrow one. Left-hander Macay McBride is likely to start the season in the Triple-A Toledo rotation, and Leyland believes his future is as a starter. "I think his stuff is suited to start," Leyland said. "I think he'll use his pitches more when he starts."
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Al Kaline's grandson will face Tigers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: