DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Leyland eager for reliever to Zoom back

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Leyland eager for reliever to Zoom back Empty
PostSubject: Leyland eager for reliever to Zoom back   Leyland eager for reliever to Zoom back Icon_minipostedFri Feb 22, 2008 3:52 pm

Friday, February 22, 2008
Tigers: Notebook
Lynn Henning / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Joel Zumaya expects to be back in the Tigers bullpen by midseason. Manager Jim Leyland is almost as upbeat, although he isn't offering timetables.

"We're gonna get Joel Zumaya back at some point -- I feel pretty confident about that," Leyland said Thursday as the Tigers got busy with their second day of full-team workouts at Tigertown. "But it's gonna take a while."

Zumaya had reconstructive surgery on his right (throwing) shoulder in October, and doctors estimated he can return by midsummer. Leyland would love it, of course, because of what Zumaya did in tandem with right-hander Fernando Rodney during the Tigers' 2006 World Series run.

"I would venture to say that in 2006 -- I won't say the best -- but I would say that two-guy tandem of setup guys we had was as good as anybody in baseball," Leyland said of the gaudy numbers (Zumaya, 6-3 record, 1.94 ERA, .187 batting average against; Rodney, 7-4, 3.52 ERA, .196).

"I think Zumaya's gonna be a great pitcher. I think this is a guy who has had a couple of things happen (Zumaya tore a finger tendon early in the 2007 season), and I think this is probably the last of those things."

Bullpen bull session

Leyland is not discussing any finite group of relievers. But there are candidates beyond the obvious, locked-in names, which Leyland pretty much confines to one person: closer Todd Jones.

Leyland expects Rodney to be the same, reliable setup man he was in '06, as long as his past tendinitis problems have vanished. Leyland said Rodney's right arm has been "tender" and, for that reason, the training staff is going slow with him during the early days of camp.

Leyland also expects two right-handers with experience, Zach Miner and Jason Grilli, to be steady during camp and to have big seasons.

He even views Miner as a setup option along with Rodney. Leyland wants Miner to reduce his walks and throw his sinker for first-pitch strikes. Grilli, too, is high on Leyland's list because "he's resilient. That arm's always healthy and there for you."

And he likes plenty of others, including left-handers Bobby Seay and Tim Byrdak, as well as right-hander Yorman Bazardo. All pitched for Detroit last season.

Another left-hander, Clay Rapada, was obtained in last summer's trade with the Cubs (Craig Monroe). He pitched briefly last season for the Tigers.

"One guy nobody ever talks about, and who could be effective, is Rapada," Leyland said. "I think he'll be fine. We like him. I think he'll pitch in the big leagues for a long time."

Denny Bautista, the fire-tossing right-hander who was acquired from Colorado (Jose Capellan), has been throwing bullets in the 100-mph vicinity. If he can find the plate with any regularity, Leyland could be tempted to make him part of the mix.

There's also Matt Mantei, a 34-year-old Stevensville native who had some sterling years for the Diamondbacks before elbow reconstruction set him back nearly three seasons.

Mantei earned a non-roster invitation and, said Leyland, "is throwing as good as I've ever seen him."

Toss in left-hander Macay McBride (being considered as a starter), right-hander Preston Larrison (a sinker Leyland raves about), and right-hander Francisco Cruceta (stalled by visa problems), and it helps explain why Leyland continues to be more concerned about his starting rotation than his bullpen.

Short hops

Magglio Ordonez (two blisters, left hand) did not hit Thursday. He continues to work out, but will not hit for at least a few more days.

Gary Sheffield impressed Leyland plenty during a Thursday hitting session:

"I watched him today and there was total freedom of his swing," Leyland said of Sheffield, who had surgery during the offseason to repair a torn labrum. "Definitely no problems whatsoever."

There are a limited number of 81-game season tickets available. The tickets represent seats not renewed ahead of the deadline for re-ordering season seats.

Additionally, 27- and 41-game mini-plans (not Opening Day, but an additional game against the Red Sox or Yankees can be reserved) remain available.

Tigers single-game tickets will go on sale at 10 a.m. March 1 at the Comerica Park Box Office. They also can be ordered at detroittigers.com or by calling (866) 66-TIGER. Tickets also are available at select Detroit-area Meijers.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: