DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal Empty
PostSubject: Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal   Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal Icon_minipostedFri Feb 22, 2008 2:47 pm

Friday, February 22, 2008
Cabrera acquisition might have been bigger news, but new Tigers shortstop also has impressive resume.
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

LAKELAND, Fla. -- Along the fearsome-fivesome wall of lockers in the Tigers clubhouse, each hitter impresses.

Carlos Guillen: Always getting the important hit.

Magglio Ordonez, batting champ: His .363 average that won the American League batting championship speaks for itself.

"The most consistently good year I've ever seen a hitter have," manager Jim Leyland said.

Gary Sheffield: His shoulder no longer hurting, which could spell untold trouble for the pitchers he faces this season.

Miguel Cabrera: Redefining the sky if we think the sky is the limit for him.

Then there's quiet, polite Edgar Renteria, the only hitter who has done what the others would like to do most: Win a World Series with one swing.

He's the Tigers shortstop now, replacing Guillen, who agreeably moved to first base.

"I knew (general manager Dave) Dombrowski would be smart and bring in someone good to take my place," Guillen said Thursday. "He brought in someone real good."

But if you're wondering what kind of player Renteria is, not knowing because he has played only one of his 12 seasons in the American League, think Alan Trammell.

At least at the plate.

Through the age of 31 (Renteria is 32), their batting and slugging averages and on-base percentage were remarkably similar. Renteria's in order are .291, .407 and .349; Trammell's at age 31 were .286, .417 and .353.

Although it's difficult to compare them defensively in statistical fashion, Trammell won four Gold Gloves in his career. Renteria has won two.

But as closer Todd Jones said, "To compare favorably as a player to Tram, who wouldn't take that?"

'My country is beautiful'

In any case, the Tigers appear to be in good hands with their shortstop, a proud Colombian who wishes it wasn't so rare for his country to field major-leaguers.

"My country is beautiful," Renteria said. "The bad things about it are known, (such as the drug trafficking) but never the good things. I hope that changes."

Through their baseball academy, Renteria and his brother, Edinson, work hard to improve the caliber of baseball in Colombia.

"I'd like to see us compete in the Caribbean World Series," he said. "If Puerto Rico doesn't go again, maybe we can. I think we're ready."

Anything's possible.

Renteria found that out in 1997, when he became the first Colombian to play in the World Series. He reached out for a breaking ball from Cleveland's Charles Nagy with two outs in the 11th inning of Game 7 and became an instant hero back home for the Series-winning single he hit.

Leyland will never forget it. He was the manager of the Marlins, for whom Renteria played. Renteria played just one more year for the Marlins after that before becoming a six-year fixture at short for the Cardinals.

"I thought we were going to win it the batter before," Leyland said of Renteria's single. "We had the bases loaded, one out, and I'm thinking if Devon White hits a fly ball, we win the World Series.

"But he got jammed, hit a little ground ball to second, and the runner got thrown out at home."

That brought up Renteria, who at 22 was just completing his first full year in the majors.

"I started scrambling at that point because we were about out of pitching," Leyland said. "I had only one player left, so I was looking down at my lineup card, and I kind of just glanced up to watch the first pitch to Renteria.

"It was a breaking ball. He jumped back on it. I've always believed he jumped back on purpose on the first breaking ball. It looked like it fooled him bad, but it was clear he'd get another one, the way he reacted to the first one. The next pitch was low and outside, off the plate, but he stayed right on it and hit it up the middle. All of a sudden, base hit, and it was over."

What then?

"I just ran out there like a fool like everyone else," Leyland said. "Your heart's pumping at a time like that. You don't know what you're doing. But I can see that play forever."

When Leyland asked Renteria if he had set a breaking-ball trap for Nagy, Renteria didn't answer.

"He just sort of smiled," Leyland said.

Now, however, Renteria says, "Of course I knew. That's how you play the game."

The other guy

Without the other trade the Tigers' made this winter -- you know, for that big third baseman who could turn out to be best hitter in baseball -- the acquisition of Renteria would have been the trade of their offseason.

And when the Tigers got Renteria from the Braves for pitcher Jair Jurrjens and outfielder Gorkys Hernandez, they thought it would be their biggest deal of the winter.

After all, Renteria is a five-time All-Star who -- even with a low of .276 for Boston in 2005 -- has averaged .303 the last six seasons.

"I thought it would be the only big one," Dombrowski said of the deal. "And it happened so quickly after the season, plus with what took place later (landing Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis), people sort of forget about it.

"But it was huge for us."

Still is.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
Tigerfan1984
Tigerfan1984

Male
Number of posts : 18
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Polanco, Verlander, Magg's, Cabrera
Registration date : 2007-12-24

Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal   Overshadowed by other big trade, Renteria still big deal Icon_minipostedSat Feb 23, 2008 9:29 pm

I think the Jacque Jones trade is another huge move that is not getting the attention it deserves.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: