DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers Empty
PostSubject: Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers   Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers Icon_minipostedFri Feb 15, 2008 7:33 pm

February 15, 2008

By JOHN LOWE

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Editor's note: Story updated at 5:58 p.m.

LAKELAND, Fla. — Long ago, after catchers began to wear protective equipment, someone dubbed the equipment “the tools of ignorance.”

Brandon Inge resumed wearing those tools today. But there was no ignorance surrounding him.

Inge didn’t ignore that he’s unhappy to catch or do anything else except play third base full-time.

And manager Jim Leyland didn’t ignore what an awkward spot Inge is in.

In December, the Tigers traded for Florida’s third baseman, Miguel Cabrera, a middle-of-the-order bedrock. Inge had lost his job, one season after signing a four-year, $24-million contract extension.

The club tried to trade him, but couldn’t. He hit only 14 homers last season, about half as many as the season before. He fanned 150 times, fourth-most in the league.
So Friday, he put back on the shinguards, chest protector and mask. He last wore them regularly in 2003, when he was the Tigers’ full-time catcher.

He might be only the emergency third-string catcher this season. Leyland also intends for him to be available to fill in at third, short, second and the outfield.

In today’s workout, Inge was part of the array of major league and minor league catchers who caught two pitchers apiece. “It’s going to be tough,” he said of his return to catching. “I caught two (pitchers) today, and my legs already hurt.”

After the workout, Inge and Leyland held a joint news conference to discuss Inge’s status. Leyland made clear both how much he likes Inge and how much he would like him to get an everyday job, which the Tigers now can’t offer him.

“In one way, I certainly don’t want to lose Brandon Inge,” Leyland said. “In another way, I hope we lose Brandon Inge and I hope he’s traded where he can play third base every day.”

Inge said: “I want to play every single day, and anyone who is a player will understand that. I want blood, sweat, tears.

“I love the organization. This is my 10th spring training with the Tigers.”

He vowed not to become disruptive as he adjusts to his new utility role.

“I’m going to play as hard as I can,” he said. “I don’t want to sound unappreciative of this organization. That’s not my issue. My issue is that I’m not going to be able to play every day.”

Strangely enough, Inge theoretically could be both Ivan Rodriguez’s predecessor and successor behind the plate. Rodriguez, who took over the catching job from Inge in ’04, is unsigned beyond this season. If Rodriguez isn’t back next season, Inge — if he’s still around — might emerge as the Tigers’ best catching option.

When asked about possibly becoming the starting catcher next season, Inge said, “I would have to assume that I will be a Detroit Tiger for the remainder of the contract (three years). I’m going to have to do whatever it takes to get the most playing time and help out as much as possible. Catching could possibly be the role. If I had my first choice, I’d rather play third base.”

Before he caught the pitchers today, Inge put on a show in batting practice on one of the practice fields. He sent some drives over the leftfield fence that became souvenirs for fans roaming out that way.

“I went to work on my swing this off-season,” Inge said. “My swing was a little long. Cutting down strikeouts is crucial.”

Earlier in the day, Inge recounted that as he drove to Florida recently with his family, “I was excited about (baseball), but angry about (my) situation.”

Then, during a stop, he underwent an attitude adjustment. It came when he saw a family that had pulled up with a U-Haul.

“The parents got out, grabbed a wheelchair out of the back, put their kid on it and took him into the hotel,” Inge said. “It puts everything in perspective and makes you sit back and kind of appreciate what you still have.”
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers   Jim Leyland addresses Brandon Inge's future with Tigers Icon_minipostedFri Feb 15, 2008 11:43 pm

Tigers' Leyland and Inge hold a press conference

Video of conference at:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080215/VIDEO02/80215072/1050
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Archives :: Locked Threads-
Jump to: