DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Steinbrenner on Torre

Go down 
+3
SoulRat
Lo_x15
tigerswinloseordraw
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tigerswinloseordraw
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
tigerswinloseordraw

Female
Number of posts : 301
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio Ordonez, Carlos Guillen
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Steinbrenner on Torre Empty
PostSubject: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedSun Oct 07, 2007 3:43 pm

NEW YORK -- Joe Torre's Yankees must advance to the American League Championship Series for the longtime manager to keep his job, George Steinbrenner said on Saturday.

Speaking in a telephone interview with The Record of Hackensack, N.J., which published his remarks on Sunday, Steinbrenner said that Torre's 12-year run at the helm is at stake as the Yankees face an 0-2 deficit to the Indians in the American League Division Series.

"His job is on the line," Steinbrenner told the newspaper. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre, who has managed the Yankees since 1996, is baseball's highest-paid manager, earning $7 million this year. He is not under contract for the 2008 season, making him the most notable potential free agent in a Yankees group that includes Jorge Posada, Mariano Rivera and perhaps Alex Rodriguez.

Steinbrenner told The Record that Torre has "been good for us over the years," as the Yankees have made the playoffs in each of Torre's 12 seasons. But they are facing first-round elimination for the third consecutive season on Sunday.

New York is pinning its Game 3 hopes on 45-year-old Roger Clemens, pitching opposite Cleveland's Jake Westbrook as the Indians try for the series sweep at Yankee Stadium.

"We certainly need to find out what we're made of," Torre said earlier on Saturday. "We certainly can't take time to feel sorry for ourselves. We've worked too hard to get here and to be one of the select teams in the postseason. We have to make the most of it."

The 77-year-old Steinbrenner, who has reserved his words in recent years, instead opting to release most of his commentary through public relations man Howard Rubenstein, agreed with Torre's assessment.

"I think that's a good statement," he said. "They'd better show what they're made of."

In a wide-ranging interview with The Record, Steinbrenner had choice words for umpire Bruce Froemming, the crew chief who opted to continue play in Friday's Game 2 despite swarms of small winged bugs, called midges, that unnerved rookie closer Joba Chamberlain in the eighth inning as Cleveland tied the game, which eventually ended in 11 innings with the Indians winning, 2-1.

"He won't umpire our games anymore," Steinbrenner said of Froemming, who is retiring after this season.

Steinbrenner also acknowledged Alex Rodriguez's future, as the probable American League MVP remains hitless in this ALDS and in his last 19 postseason at-bats.

"I think we'll re-sign him," Steinbrenner said of A-Rod. "I think he's going to have a good run the rest of the [postseason]. I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play. A lot of this [postseason] is laying on his shoulders, you know, but I think he's up to it."

Steinbrenner told the newspaper that he maintains full control over the Yankees, despite published reports of his failing health.

"I'm doing all right," Steinbrenner said. "I'm fine."
Back to top Go down
Lo_x15
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan WhitecapDTF1 ADMINISTRATOR West Michigan Whitecap
Lo_x15

Female
Number of posts : 470
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : *Brandon Inge*, Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson, Placido Polanco
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedSun Oct 07, 2007 4:11 pm

"I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play."

WHAT?! hahahhahahaha. WOW! They were BOOING him and that's supposed to make him what to be in NY?
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedSun Oct 07, 2007 4:26 pm

Why would he say this publicly? What an idiot! Even if the Yankees somehow come back look what he'll be on record of saying! That'd be like this sort of conversation:

"I'm off to my job interview, dear"

"Good luck! Oh yeah, if you don't get that promotion I want a divorce"
Back to top Go down
SoulRat
SoulRat

Female
Number of posts : 9935
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I like fish at the moment....
Registration date : 2007-10-04

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedMon Oct 08, 2007 6:43 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Why would he say this publicly? What an idiot! Even if the Yankees somehow come back look what he'll be on record of saying! That'd be like this sort of conversation:

"I'm off to my job interview, dear"

"Good luck! Oh yeah, if you don't get that promotion I want a divorce"

LMAO
Back to top Go down
pudgemaggs
Oneonta Tiger
Oneonta Tiger

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedTue Oct 09, 2007 12:51 am

BAHAHAHAHAHHAHA BYE BYE TORRE
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedTue Oct 09, 2007 2:36 am

Wave Torre!
Back to top Go down
boto69
New York Yankee
New York Yankee
boto69

Male
Number of posts : 32
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Fu-Te Ni
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedTue Oct 09, 2007 3:56 pm

Torre is a great manager with class, hate to seeing him gone but something needs to change if we wanna go deep in postseaon again..
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_minipostedThu Oct 11, 2007 9:26 pm

....Just a thought here, but what about some BETTER FREAKIN' PLAYERS?????
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steinbrenner on Torre   Steinbrenner on Torre Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Steinbrenner on Torre
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: New York Yankees-
Jump to: