DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger

Go down 
+3
VegasTigersFan
swiss_tiger
GoGetEmTigers
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Empty
PostSubject: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 pm

January 28, 2008

By JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Updated at 1:40 p.m.

For now, at least, Brandon Inge will remain a Tiger.

While team officials may still consider trade offers for Inge over the next several weeks, they are now planning for him to be part of their 2008 club.

Inge spoke this morning with club president/general manager Dave Dombrowski, and the two discussed Inge’s role on the team. He is expected to join the team’s catchers in Lakeland, Fla., by the Feb. 14 reporting date.

“We’ve reached a point where we thought it was appropriate to reach out to him,” Dombrowski said in a telephone interview this morning. “He’s prepared to come to camp with the catchers and help the Tigers win however he can.”

Inge spoke with the Free Press early this afternoon, on the day of his first public comments since the trade. Inge didn’t hide his frustration at losing his job as Detroit’s starting third baseman – “I’m not happy about it,” he said multiple times – but said he would accept a super-utility role.

“I want to play as much as possible,” Inge said. “I don’t care about the money. I want to play because I care about the game and I love playing. I can’t stand sitting on the bench. I don’t care if it’s third base, first base, catcher, outfield – if anyone needs a day off, I want to get as many at-bats as I can.

“Detroit is where I’ve been, and it’s where I want to be. I didn’t ask for this. I was ecstatic when I signed a four-year contract (after the 2006 season) … I’ve been forced into a situation that’s not very good, but I’m going to try to make the best out of it.”

Dombrowski said manager Jim Leyland will determine Inge’s precise role on the team. Earlier this month, Leyland alluded to the possibility that Inge would be utilized as a super-utility player.

Inge, 30, has appeared in more games with Detroit than any other player on the current roster, but his future here had been in doubt since the Tigers acquired Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis in a blockbuster trade with the Florida Marlins last month. The team made clear afterward that Cabrera would be its everyday third baseman, a position Inge had held since 2005.

Soon after the trade, Inge discussed his options with Dombrowski. Inge revealed today that, during that conversation, he provided Dombrowski with a list of four priorities:

1. Start at third base for the Tigers.

2. Start at another position for the Tigers.

3. Start for another team.

4. Be a part-time player for the Tigers.

Inge and Dombrowski had that conversation more than seven weeks ago.

The Tigers have tried to trade Inge ever since, but a disappointing 2007 season hindered his market value. He batted .236 with 14 home runs and 71 RBIs, a drop in production from a career year in 2006. Inge’s contract – three years and $19.1 million remain on his current deal – was another barrier.

When asked about the possibility that trade talks could be revived at a later date, Dombrowski said, “We always continue to assess every situation, but, right now, we’re taking the approach that he’s a member of the Tigers.”

Now, Inge has little option but to accept what was his fourth choice. Inge said he is willing to accept the utility role, in hopes that an everyday job will open up for the 2009 season.

“That’s the hand I’ve been dealt,” Inge said.

Dombrowski raised the possibility of Inge catching during a question-and-answer session at TigerFest earlier this month.

“If I were Brandon Inge’s best friend, I’d tell him, ‘You should catch,’” Dombrowski said then. “This guy could be an All-Star catcher. He’s not only good defensively, but his offense takes on a different meaning. … If he puts (last year’s) numbers up catching, he might be an All-Star. But you also realize that guys have to do what they want to do.”

Inge was Detroit’s primary catcher as recently as the 2003 season, and he has demonstrated natural ability at the position.

The Tigers have little catching depth in the organization and may need a big-league catcher soon. Both catchers on the team’s 40-man roster – Ivan Rodriguez and Vance Wilson – will be free agents at the end of the coming season.

Leyland said earlier this month that he is “concerned” about the health of Wilson’s elbow following Tommy John surgery; Dombrowski said today that there has been no change in Wilson’s status since then.

Inge’s role on the club should remain an intriguing storyline throughout spring training. Prior to the acquisition of Cabrera, the Tigers’ bench seemed likely to include Wilson, utility infielder Ramon Santiago and outfielders Marcus Thames and Ryan Raburn. Now that Inge has effectively joined that group, club officials could be faced with a difficult decision for the final roster spot.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Inge 'disappointed' but will play any position for Tigers   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 8:50 pm

Monday, January 28, 2008
Inge 'disappointed' but will play any position for Tigers
Tom Gage / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Manager Jim Leyland was right. Brandon Inge is not going to be a disruptive Tiger.

But he is a disappointed one.

Inge and Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski had the conversation Monday about Inge's status that Dombrowski said they would eventually have to have.

And the upshot of it is that, yes, Inge will report to spring training Feb. 14 with catchers and pitchers -- because his future now includes catching again.

Speaking to the media for the first time since losing his starting third base job to Miguel Cabrera, Inge said in a phone call that, "Dombrowski told me that he's trying to trade me and that it still could happen.

"I haven't talked until now because I didn't want to say anything until I had all the information about what might happen. I didn't want to just be reacting emotionally to losing my job.

"I am disappointed," added Inge, "I will admit that and there are times I'm going to be very frustrated. I didn't ask to be put in this position. I don't have to be happy with it.

"I love playing the game of baseball. It won't be easy for me to sit on the bench after helping the Tigers go through what we've been through. But maybe if I go through this for a year, I can start at another position in a year.

"Opening Day will be the toughest, if I'm on the bench, with someone else playing my position. But I love Detroit, and I'd like to stay here. It's like home to me. So it's very frustrating.

"I look at it this way. My absolute preference would be to stay in Detroit as the starting third baseman. My next preference would be to stay in Detroit, starting at any other position. Next on the list would be to start elsewhere at third base -- and fourth would be to stay in Detroit as a bench guy."

As for catching, Inge said, "I can still do it. I'll do whatever helps this team win as many games as it can. That's the hand I've been dealt and I have to make the best of it.

"But I still want to play as much as possible, I don't care what position it is. If someone needs a day off I want to be in there. I don't care if it's first base, I'll learn it. I just want to play as much as I can.

"I'm not going to be a problem for anyone, though. I just don't want to sit a lot."
Back to top Go down
swiss_tiger
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
swiss_tiger

Male
Number of posts : 1760
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Inge, Inge, Inge and hhmmm Inge. ;-)

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 am

I would love to see Brandon catch for the Tigers! tiger
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male
Number of posts : 375
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Polanco & Verlander, Guillen, Mags, Miggy
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 11:53 am

I really think he could be the catcher of the future...
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 12:38 pm

I absolutely LOVE your Avatar!!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 1:26 pm

R u talking to me or Swiss?
Back to top Go down
detigersfan06
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
detigersfan06

Female
Number of posts : 1426
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : **Inge**, Granderson, Polonco, Magglio, Verlander, ok all of them!!
Registration date : 2007-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Yay2 Big Smile
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 1:51 pm

VegasTigersFan wrote:
R u talking to me or Swiss?

YOU!! Nobody sucks more than the Yankees!!

GO TIGERS!! Saint
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 3:41 pm

Thanks, I knew it was me as soon as I saw it and I agree, NO ONE sucks more than the Yanks. Go Tigers !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 7:06 pm

Hooray! B. Inge Rules
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 7:37 pm

Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Tom Gage:
Inge is a Tiger, will catch

DETROIT -- If I were Dave Dombrowski, I wouldn't try too hard to trade Brandon Inge.

I'd give it some fancy lip service, as in: "Gee, we tried, the iron was hot in a couple of places, but we just couldn't find a taker."

Then I would do exactly what Dombrowski did Monday, basically telling Inge to dust off his catcher's mitt and report early to spring training the way he used to do, when it looked like being a catcher was his future.

Which it still might be.

"Being the athlete he is, I think he could play almost anywhere," said Dombrowski, who earlier spoke of Inge as an All-Star-caliber catcher. "I know he's disappointed at the current situation, but I don't think that's the overriding factor.

"To me, the overriding factor is that he likes this team and will do all he can to help it win."

This is not as much of a rock-and-a-hard-place situation as it appears, however. If Inge can bide his time, possibly on two fronts, he might still be part of the Tigers' future.

It's just he'll have to sit around more than he wants this season and learn to live with the frustration of watching others play the positions at which he used to start.

Inge emerged from his extended silence Monday. He discussed his status with Dombrowski, the Tigers president, general manager, chief executive officer and vaunted architect of whatever grand times might be ahead for the Tigers this season.

Then Inge picked up the phone, and one by one, called reporters who cover the team, in essence apologizing for keeping everyone in the dark as to how he reacted, and is still reacting, to losing his starting job at third base to Miguel Cabrera.

He'll make best of it

"I didn't ask to be put in this situation," Inge said. "I signed a four-year deal because I wanted to play third base for four years. I always want to be in Detroit. It's the Tigers who decided they want to go in this direction.

"It's frustrating, I'm not happy with it at all, but this is the hand I've been dealt and I have to make the best of it. Being a utility player for a year, then hopefully get a starting job after that (for the Tigers) would be my goal.

"I want to play, I want to contribute, I don't care what position it is. I want to play just as much as I possibly can. I don't want to just sit."

It hasn't been an easy time for him. That's understood. When teammate Vance Wilson called in December to find out if he had heard about the trade, Inge's first reaction was: Great, the guy can hit. He's a star.

Wilson then said, "But he'll be playing your position."

Gulp.

Inge hadn't figured on that. He knew, and openly admits, that he had an off-year offensively last year, but without bragging, he feels he's an excellent third baseman. He thought his defense would save him.

But it hasn't. At least not yet.

That brings us to how the Tigers must still keep an eye to 2009, without losing any of the excitement with which they're approaching this season. They're going to be good, no doubt, but good teams always plan ahead on how to remain good.

Some might call it scheduled attrition.

Case in point: Unless he sheds five years, and reverses the direction in which his production has recently been headed, Pudge Rodriguez could be entering his final year as a Tiger.

Not his final year in the majors, probably. His skills are diminishing, not vanishing. But the decision of even bringing him back for the 2008 season was, by no means, a unanimous one, making it probable that the next decision about his future also won't be easy.

Role could change

The Tigers, without Inge, would not have a catcher-in-waiting, however. Mike Rabelo has been traded. Wilson is good at what he does, but what he does has never included 500 at-bats.

And there's no one climbing fast in the minors, either.

Now that he's agreed to catch again as part of his duties, it's not in the least far-fetched to envision Inge as the Tigers' starting catcher in 2009, which would be the third year of his tolerable, four-year contract.

At some point, the Tigers will have to put the checkbook away for a winter, and the thought of dropping from Pudge's $13 million salary this year to Inge's $6.3 million next year should be of some fiscal comfort to them.

There's also this scenario. Although he's going back to catching as part of what could be a super-utility role, Inge won't ever profess to like catching better than third base.

"I'd be lying if I said I did," he said.

Now suppose the Tigers sign Cabrera to that humongous, long-term contract he'd like, with one small proviso: Be amenable to switching positions, if needed.

Carlos Guillen agreed to such a request. For the good of the team, Guillen might even be able to get Cabrera to agree.

Then the Tigers would be in a position to move Cabrera to left in 2009, if they want. After all, despite his strong arm and the good hands that Dombrowski says he has, the Tigers expect Cabrera to be an average third baseman defensively.

They are willing to accept the step down from Inge's glove, however, because of Cabrera's bat.

The point is that if Cabrera is only average and if Rodriguez doesn't return for 2009, Inge might eventually have a choice of positions. The big question is whether the Tigers' bulging payroll this season can tolerate a utilityman making more than $6 million.

Dombrowski admitted "it's not an easy situation for us. However, there's no trade imminent."

That might not sound like good news for Inge or for the Tigers. But it is.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:21 am

GO BRANDON
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:43 am

Quote :
Now suppose the Tigers sign Cabrera to that
humongous, long-term contract he'd like, with one small proviso: Be
amenable to switching positions, if needed.

Carlos Guillen agreed to such a request. For the good of the team, Guillen might even be able to get Cabrera to agree.

Carlos Guillen truly is a class act!!! Let's see about Inge and Cabrera.

Sheff also did not want to sit the bench, and be just a DH, he had to adjust, maybe Sheff can talk to Brandon too.
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 11:32 am

If everyone would just do what they can to help the team win then we could get sized for our WS rings!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:50 pm

Disappointment, although part of life, still sucks a big one. But you have to look at the goal ahead!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:10 pm

VegasTigersFan wrote:
If everyone would just do what they can to help the team win then we could get sized for our WS rings!!!!!!!!!

I'm into Tiger World Series Jewelry!! bounce
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:21 pm

I asked my wife if I could buy a ring if the Tigers win it all...she laughed. I am not sure but I think that is a no Smile
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:29 pm

Your problem is you asked her....you need to TELL her you are buying one!! LOL
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:31 pm

I tried that once...it did not work out real well for me.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 pm

u guys are 2 funny
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Thanks...I am really tough when my wife is not around.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:38 pm

She sounds like one awesome lady!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:39 pm

I have made many mistakes in my life, but she is not one of them!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:48 pm

A good spouse is a sign there is a God...
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:49 pm

LOL. No Doubt.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm

that's about the only proof of His existence in my life nowadays!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

That doesn't sound good Lap. The night shift might be depressing you??
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:55 pm

Nah...just a little midlife mental meandering....trying to find a second career. 3rd sux but at least I have a job...
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:57 pm

Yea, I made a career change about 8 years ago but I left a job I hated to one I love and what a difference. I only miss my old job on payday Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:58 pm

I don't think I'll ever stop working. "Retirement" just isn't in the lexicon!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger   Brandon Inge to remain a Tiger Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: