DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Empty
PostSubject: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 10:06 am

MICHIGAN STATE 77, MICHIGAN 62
MICHAEL ROSENBERG: MSU/U-M: Nothing more than Green party

January 28, 2008

BY MICHAEL ROSENBERG

FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

EAST LANSING -- Well, Michigan State beat Michigan in basketball again, which is exciting news to anybody who has been in captivity for the past decade. This isn't a basketball rivalry -- it's a Dr. Seuss rhyme:

They could not beat them in E.L.

They could not win -- no chance in hell

They could not beat the Green and White

If their baskets counted twice.

We are into the second decade of Michigan State dominance over Michigan, and several years past any silly "closing the gap" talk. And maybe the best way to sum it up is that for Michigan State, beating Michigan just isn't a big deal anymore.

I mean, I'm sure beating Michigan never gets old. But it sure as heck isn't new, either. Tom Izzo's program is, was, and will be a national contender. The only question is whether the Wolverines will step on that stage, too.

There isn't much to say about Sunday's game. To quote a local philosopher, both teams played hard. Michigan State is just much, much better. The Spartans are 18-2, and their next three opponents -- Illinois, Penn State and Northwestern -- are straight out of the Big Ten's litter box.

Best of all, the Spartans are getting better. Drew Neitzel, who struggled earlier this season, has scored an efficient 38 points in his past two games. MSU is the deepest, most versatile team in the Big Ten, and quite possibly the best.

"They compare with everybody we've seen thus far," said Michigan coach John Beilein, who has lost to the Nos. 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 15 teams in the latest Associated Press poll.

MSU is so good -- and U-M so ... uh, rebuilding -- that Beilein said, accurately, "I wouldn't measure our program right now on how well we do at Michigan State or how well we do at Wisconsin."

Michigan State has won 15 of its past 18 games against Michigan, dating to 1998. Things that have happened in that time:

1. Kalin Lucas graduated from elementary school, middle school and high school.

2. Michigan hired Brian Ellerbe for the long term. And fired Ellerbe. And hired Tommy Amaker. And fired Amaker. And hired Beilein.

After the game, Izzo praised Michigan's talent in a manner that was classy but inaccurate. He said he tried to recruit several of Michigan's players, then rattled off the names of Manny Harris, DeShawn Sims, Ronald Coleman and Zack Gibson. The truth is that Izzo's recruitment of Coleman and Gibson was light at best, and for good reason: Michigan State can, and did, get better players.

The belief is that Beilein's team will be competitive next year and in the NCAA tournament the year after that. But right now he is giving too many minutes to players who can't win in the Big Ten. He has no choice.

As a result, Izzo said he gave Harris "the Michael Jordan treatment" -- i.e., every defender kept his eyes on Manny. Harris scored only five points in the first 32 minutes, and Michigan just can't win when that happens.

"We just have to improve so that we can make it a game right down to the end," Beilein said.

Beilein is new to this. He didn't see MSU whip U-M, 114-63 and 71-44, and by a few closer scores, too. In time, Beilein's team will compete with the elite teams in the Big Ten. And when that happens, Michigan State still will be one of those elite teams. That is one of the surest things in the sport.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 1:54 pm

They better beat Michigan LMAO

Nothing more embarrassing than losing to Michigan.

What happened to Michigan? They used to be a decent team year in and year out. Now they're pathetic.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:26 am

Poor Michigan
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 1:45 am

Well, I hope U of M gets better, just not as good as State! Spartans all the way, anyday!

I sure miss the days 1977-79) when I went to MSU and was able to watch Magic Johnson and Greg Kelser at little Jenison Fieldhouse (sat 10,004 compared to todays Breslin Center with 16,280 seats).
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 1:47 am

Magic Johnson rules! Amazing he has stayed so healthy since being diagnosed with HIV
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 1:53 am

gs78 wrote:
Magic Johnson rules! Amazing he has stayed so healthy since being diagnosed with HIV

Doctors have done wonders treating that. I wouldn't want HIV or anything, but with today's medical breakthroughs there's a hell of a lot worse things to have.

Too bad as much progress hasn't been made with stuff like cancer. Don't get me wrong, they've done a decent job there but if you were diagnosed with cancer 15+ years ago you're either dead or cured.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 1:55 am

Good Point; Hopefully the next big medical break happens soon
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:06 am

agreeded
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedWed Feb 06, 2008 12:19 pm

Wednesday, February 6, 2008
High school EXTRA: National Signing Day
Glenn star under the radar no more
Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News

INKSTER -- There are a lot of feel-good stories surrounding National Signing Day, but Keshawn Martin's story might be the best.

Martin isn't your typical big-time football recruit.

The truth is, Martin, who couldn't afford to attend any camps last summer, wasn't recruited at all.

Martin's family doesn't have a lot of money, and he wasn't able to do all the things recruits do to get noticed.

But Westland John Glenn athletic director Brian Swinehart and junior varsity basketball coach Mark Anderson made sure Martin, 17, wouldhave the opportunity to attend college.

Swinehart and Anderson took it upon themselves to produce a highlight tape of Martin's senior season, send it to every school in Michigan and the Mid-American Conference and follow up with calls every week.

The result: Martin accepted a scholarship to Michigan State and will sign his national letter-of-intent today.

Martin is the first member of his family to attend college.

"He's a great kid," Swinehart said. "His family has been through a lot and the whole Martin family is good people. He deserved this opportunity."

Tough road

Martin and his family have had some difficult times the past 10 years.

Keshawn's mother, Tracy, was diagnosed with large fibroid tumors in her abdomen in 1998. She had surgery to remove the tumors, but cannot work.

"It's been a long recovery, I'm still recovering," she said.

Finances have been tight, too.

Tracy lost her car last year, forcing Charles Martin to rely on coworkers and public transportation to get to his job at Metro Airport as a baggage handler.

But you'd never guess the Martins were down on their luck.

"I just cried and cried and cried when I knew my Ki-Ki (Keshawn) was going to go to college," Tracy said. "I was so proud, and so happy and not afraid, but nervous, because that was one of the best things that has ever happened to us and I didn't know what to expect."

The process

Martin played wide receiver and defensive back his junior season. He was switched to quarterback the last game of his junior year against Wayne and was so impressive, that coaches worked him at quarterback during the offseason.

That's where he played his senior season (as well as defensive back), and finished 25 for 54 for 658 yards and six touchdowns. He rushed for 876 yards and 10 touchdowns.

On defense, he returned two interceptions for touchdowns, and was named All-Metro West by The News.

But it was Martin's athleticism that stuck out the most. He runs a 4.38 40-yard dash and has quick feet.

"During the (Livonia) Franklin game, Keshawn had some amazing runs," Swinehart said of the 6-foot, 180-pounder. "I turned to Mark Anderson and said that we have to do something for this kid and we have to do it right now.

"I got some game tape of Keshawn and I broke it down on my laptop "

That started the recruiting process.

Swinehart sent the highlight tape to a recruiting service Oct. 23. Officials from the service responded, saying Martin was a Big Ten player.

Two day's later, Swinehart saw former Michigan quarterback Rick Leach, and happened to have his laptop with him.

"I put my laptop down and asked him if he would take a look at a kid and tell me what he thought," Swinehart said. "He said that he thought he was a great athlete and had great feet and would help get the tape to the University of Michigan."

Then, the week of Oct. 29, Swinehart updated the tape and sent it to Michigan and Illinois.

"(Illinois assistant) Reggie (Mitchell) and I became friends at Central when he was playing football and I was playing basketball," Anderson said. "We have always kept in touch over the years and I sent him the tape really just asking Reggie for his opinion.

"I thought that maybe he was a MAC guy, but definitely not a Big Ten guy because no one has been calling him.

"That night, (Mitchell) called me back and said that he hadn't even been halfway through the tape yet, but he had to call and ask me if the tape was real or if we had hyped-up or doctored the tape at all. He told me not to give the tape to anyone else, but I told him that we had already sent it out all over."

The next day, Michigan called and wanted another tape.

Illinois already wanted to offer.

Martin attended the Michigan State-Michigan game Nov. 3. The next day, Michigan State offered him a scholarship.

Two days later, Martin was in East Lansing attending a practice, still mulling his decision.

Michigan State man

According to Swinehart, when Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio saw the tape, he was amazed.

Said Swinehart: "I was told that when (secondary coach) Harlan Barnett handed the DVD to Coach Dantonio, he hadn't even gotten back to his office when Dantonio sent a text message that read something along the lines of have we offered this kid yet and if not, why?"

Martin was amazed, too.

"I wanted to play college football, and I knew I probably could have played, but I didn't think I would go to a Big Ten school," Martin said. "They treat you like a celebrity when you are on recruiting trips, and it felt weird a little bit. I didn't know that you got so much free stuff when you play for the football team. We get free sweats, jackets, free cleats and all the gloves that you want its pretty sweet."

"I liked the Illinois coach, but I didn't want to leave the state. It was really between (Michigan) State and Michigan. I went to the Michigan/Ohio State game and I really didn't like it up there. It was like I didn't fit up there and that is why I chose Michigan State."

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise

Sitting on a small table in the corner of Charles Martin's kitchen is a 6-inch television.

That where he watches college football on Saturday afternoons.

Next year, he'll be watching his son on that television.

"I was only able to get to a couple of games last year," Charles said. "I knew he always loved football, but I didn't think he was thisgood. I knew he would give you a good game because he's been playing ever since he was little. Over the years he just got better and better.

"The offer from Michigan State really took me by surprise. I was really shocked and then I was really proud."

Photos and favorite athletes are plastered on the walls in Keshawn's room -- it's in the loft, and over the past few days, it's been his place of solitude.

"Keshawn is shy and he keeps to himself," Swinehart said. "The kids love him and the teachers love him, and I would do anything when it comes to Keshawn just because of who he is."

But there's more to Keshawn.

True, he's a teenager. But he's a football player -- one who can now claim he has a scholarship to play in college.

"It makes me want to cry," Tracy said. "It makes me feel that some of the things that I talked to him about as a little boy he listened to as he grew up into a man. That makes me feel great because I know he works so hard and he has a great work ethic and he is being rewarded for that."

You can reach Tim Twentyman at ttwentyman@detnews.com.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 1:59 am

Sunday, March 16, 2008
Men's basketball: NCAA Tournament
Spartans draw Temple in NCAA first round on Thursday
The Detroit News

EAST LANSING -- Drew Neitzel knows that first-round NCAA Tournament foe Temple is the Atlantic 10 champion, is nicknamed the Owls and is located in Philadelphia.

The Michigan State guard also knows that his team is capable of a long run as a fifth seed, as it proved in 2005 when it won four games and beat Duke and Kentucky.

"We have all the ingredients and all the potential in the world to make a long tournament run," Neitzel said Sunday after the Spartans learned they will start on Thursday in Denver. "We were a 5 seed my freshman year when we made it to the Final Four."

Michigan State (25-8) will be making its 11th-straight NCAA appearance, the fifth-longest streak in the nation. If it beats the Owls (21-12), it will meet No. 4 seed Pittsburgh (26-9), the Big East champion, or No. 13 Oral Roberts (24-8) on Saturday.

"A 5 seed is more than fair," Spartans coach Tom Izzo said. "I thought we'd be a 5 or a 6. When I saw Indiana was an 8, I thought we might slip to a 7. But it's not about winning a game in the tournament. You have to win the weekend."

Two wins would send the Spartans to Houston, where they could meet top-seeded Memphis and face second-seeded Texas, a team they beat in December at The Palace of Auburn Hills.

Michigan State and Big Ten champ Wisconsin beat the Longhorns on successive Saturdays in December. But the Spartans are more concerned with playing the way they can this week as they try to reach their fifth Final Four in 10 years.

"What happened in the Big Ten is over now," Neitzel said of a disappointing fourth-place finish. "We're putting that behind us. I'm just happy for the opportunity we have. Not many programs can say they've made 11 straight NCAAs."

That streak is the second-longest in Big Ten history. But the Spartans' last league title came in 2001, the year they beat Temple 69-62 in an Elite Eight matchup in Atlanta.

John Chaney has been replaced by Fran Dunphy as coach of the Owls, who have a seven-game winning streak, including two victories over NCAA 11th seed St. Joseph's.

Michigan State will have to contain Dionte Christmas, who averages 20.2 points per game. But Izzo is more concerned with how his team plays.

"You've got to get your guys playing well, and we're getting some life out of Neitzel again," he said of a player who averaged 27 points over the weekend. "Normally, I wish we could play Friday and Sunday.

"But to get the sour taste out of my mouth from Saturday, it's just as good that we play right away. I'd have given my right arm to play in Detroit."

Many Michigan State fans bought tickets for the Midwest Region games at Ford Field, 90 minutes from campus. But when the foul-plagued Spartans lost to Wisconsin 65-63 in the Big Ten Tournament semifinals, the Badgers became the No. 3 seed in that bracket.

"We're a little disappointed about that, but we didn't do the things we needed to do," Neitzel said. "We'll just have to find another way to get to San Antonio."
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 2:02 am

Spartans got hosed by the refs against Wisconsin on Saturday!

Big Ten Refs are Asshat
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 17, 2008 2:05 am

But I am glad Wisconsin beat Illinois on Sunday! Averting Illinois winning the Big Ten and getting an automatic NCAA Berth.

Teams with losing records should not be invited to the big dance.

But tournaments give them a shot!

Why even have a regular season?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 12:32 am

MSU advances to the sweet 16 in men's basketball!!!!
3/22/08

Final 12Score
Michigan State «303565
Pittsburgh282654
Preview | Lineup | Wrap | Box

Last edited by GoGetEmTigers on Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 12:58 am

MICHIGAN STATE 65, PITTSBURGH 54
Spartans advance to Sweet 16

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES • March 22, 2008

DENVER — All this talk about brawn and brute force gets old. Drew Neitzel and Kalin Lucas let everyone know these Michigan State guys can dribble and shoot it, too.

The Spartans guards went on a late ballhandling and scoring spree to help Michigan State pull away from Pittsburgh for a 65-54 victory Saturday night in the South Regional.

Lucas and Neitzel combined for 21 of the final 25 points for the fifth-seeded Spartans to help them win a battle of the bullies — a rough-and-tumble game between two Rust Belt teams who brought their show to the Rocky Mountains.

Neitzel led the Spartans with 21 points, and Lucas finished with 19.
Levance Fields had 19 points for fourth-seeded Pitt (27-10), which had won six straight.

Leading by one, Neitzel scored eight straight points — including an amazing shake-and-bake move to get shooting room in front of Ronald Ramon — to give Michigan State (27-8) a five-point lead with 4 minutes left.

A bit later, Lucas drove to the basket for a layup, then the two combined when Neitzel picked up a loose ball and fed it ahead to Lucas for an uncontested layup — one of the very few easy scores in this hotly contested game — for a 59-50 lead.

On the next possession, as if to prove these guys really do make their living playing defense, the guards combined on the final blow. Neitzel reached in to redirect Fields — who found himself slamming directly into Lucas. The ref called a charge and, cruelly and almost appropriately, Fields found himself on the ground writhing in pain.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 1:20 am

Hail! to the Victors!

Wrong song, but who cares. Go State Go!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 1:36 am

What is Michigan State's Fight Song Called?

Do they even have one?

GO STATE!

We should have a Sparty Smilie
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 2:28 am

gs78 wrote:

Do they even have one?

GO STATE!

fight song
http://www.inmetrodetroit.com/audio/MSU_Fightsng.wav

Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 3:35 am

Thank You! I knew they had a fight song but couldn't remember it!

I went to a Red Wings Game a couple months ago and they played the musical versions of both U of M and State in regards to NCAA Hockey at the Joe.

When they played U of M fight song, almost everyone cheered; When they played State's, most people booed!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 2:02 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
gs78 wrote:

Do they even have one?

GO STATE!

fight song
http://www.inmetrodetroit.com/audio/MSU_Fightsng.wav

Hey, maybe you can answer a question about MSU's band....

My dad likes MSU for some reason. MSU's band plays this song from time to time that sounds similar to the William Tell Overture. Do you know what it is?
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 5:54 pm

catbox-9 wrote:
Hey, maybe you can answer a question about MSU's band....

My
dad likes MSU for some reason. MSU's band plays this song from time to
time that sounds similar to the William Tell Overture. Do you know what
it is?

I remember hearing it, I will see what I can find out.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 6:07 pm

I still say we need a Spartans Simile!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedSun Mar 23, 2008 9:02 pm

We are making them for Pistons, Lions, Red Wings, U of M and MSU!

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! 2355317441_33a52ab087_o
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 1:12 am

Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2 Yay2
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 3:22 am

Some new smilies...

Lions MSU Pistons UM Wings The D
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 11:12 am

I kept going between MSU and MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! 2356181768_d199d60914_m the first is the university logo, the second has the univ name in it. Good catch cat!

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! 2357330373_905cddbd85_m official logo from msu press kit
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 12:01 pm

catbox_9 wrote:
Some new smilies...

Lions MSU Pistons UM Wings The D

Yay2
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedMon Mar 24, 2008 1:37 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
I kept going between MSU and MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! 2356181768_d199d60914_m the first is the university logo, the second has the univ name in it. Good catch cat!

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! 2357330373_905cddbd85_m official logo from msu press kit

For those that were on this morning the MSU logo is changed. I originally had one like the official logo only the colors were switched.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 am

GO MSU
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 9:01 pm

Thursday, March 27, 2008
Bob Wojnowski: South Regional
Lucas has taken reins for Spartans

HOUSTON -- It was the lowest moment of the season, maybe of many seasons. Michigan State had just blown a big lead against bitter rival Wisconsin in the Big Ten tournament, and in the locker room, Tom Izzo heard the most-telling noise from the unlikeliest source.

Kalin Lucas, the freshman point guard who moves quickly and speaks softly, was pounding his fist and sobbing and declaring it all his fault. He had made poor decisions and missed key shots and it hurt more than he could express.

It hurt for a while, and then the strangest thing happened. It started to help.

"I think it changed me in a way," Lucas said, recalling the scene. "It made me know, I gotta be smarter, I gotta know the situation better. It made me become more of a gym rat, watching film, working on my ballhandling."

Lucas stopped and considered it further. He said he'd cried once before because of sports, after losing in the state regional at Orchard Lake St. Mary's.

"Yeah, it changed me," he said again, and sure enough, the evidence mounts.

When the Spartans take on top-seeded Memphis Friday night in the Sweet 16, Lucas must be as good as anyone for Michigan State to have a chance. He must match the Tigers' speed, push the ball on demand and pull back when necessary. The Spartans like to run more than opponents but realize they have to be smart, or risk getting trampled by Memphis' fast-breaking style.

Lucas will have to know the situations. He'll have to seize the moment without squeezing it. He'll have to play his game without trying to trump Memphis' acclaimed freshman guard Derrick Rose.

Lucas will have to get the ball where Drew Neitzel wants it and Raymar Morgan needs it. It's a lot to ask of a freshman but Lucas is an uncommon freshman, developing so steadily, he's conjuring images of Michigan State great Mateen Cleaves, taking phone calls from Magic Johnson and drawing early comparisons to his idol, New Orleans' Chris Paul.

Plenty is being heaped, and while Izzo once wondered if Lucas could handle it, he wonders less now. In two NCAA Tournament games, Lucas has been a difference-maker, leading the team with a 13.5 scoring average while committing only three turnovers. He's taking the ball straight to the hoop more and more, pumping up a sometimes-dormant offense.

"It is becoming his team, yes it is," Izzo said. "Starting after the Wisconsin game, I think players found out it meant a lot to him. It showed how much he cared. He hadn't shown that much emotion in all the games combined."

He's found himself

It has not been easy for Lucas, despite the tattoo on his arm that says, "Too Easy." He plays a style that's so smooth, Izzo has called him the quickest player he's ever coached.

Getting from one end of the floor to the other is the simple part. Trying to take command of a team while operating under Izzo's high standards is the complicated part.

Michigan State hasn't had a player like Lucas since, well, since Cleaves, a true point guard whose primary goal was to push -- push the ball, push teammates. Lucas doesn't possess that fiery nature but that's changing as he gets comfortable with backcourt mate Neitzel.

"Me and Coach have been talking and he's been telling me to go out there and be the floor general," Lucas said. "So I'm talking more, telling guys where to go and where to be. Mateen was a floor general, leading his guys to the championship, and that's what I plan on doing."

That's a rare burst of boldness from a guy who hasn't minded easing in. Lucas started the first five games of the season, then came off the bench in favor of the more-vocal Travis Walton. Lucas started again the final nine games and has been excellent in the biggest ones, first busting out with 18 points in a win over Texas.

It's difficult to know exactly when a player arrives, but it looks like it's happening right now for Lucas.

"He's taken some giant steps the last couple of weeks," Izzo said. "I'm sure there had to be disappointment if you start, then don't start, but he never showed it. He has such a good relationship with Travis, who took him under his wing. And the way it happened, I really think it's going to help Kalin. He hasn't been pampered like a lot of kids. He's earned it."

Full speed ahead

Lucas has a subtle cool about him, as if taking it all in, awaiting his chance. One of the great things about Izzo's program is there's always an indoctrination period for a newcomer, a process that can be painful.

Lucas didn't even make the Big Ten's all-freshman team and certainly doesn't get the accolades accorded Memphis' Rose. At 6-feet, 180 pounds, Lucas' impact can be misleading. With his low-key demeanor, his passion can be misconstrued.

"He's a quiet guy, but at the same time, he knows he's good," Walton said. "That's the type of swagger you got to have. Man, he has developed so much."

Ask Lucas about the keys to his progress and he spouts the standards -- working hard, staying humble. He knows his role, even as he expands it.

If you handle the ball for Izzo, you are not entitled to simply do your job. You must impart your will on others, as Cleaves did. Really, it's the ingredient the Spartans have lacked since winning the 2000 national championship.

"Kalin's a tougher kid than I thought and he's getting more and more coachable," Izzo said. "I think he gets that leadership is part of his job. Sometimes guys don't want to accept that."

And sometimes teammates don't accept it from a freshman. It was tough at times for Neitzel and the Spartans, trying to work Lucas into the system. It was hard to tell if Lucas was getting it, until that scene in the locker room after the Wisconsin loss, when the kid held nothing back.

He's holding nothing back now, racing straight ahead. More and more, Lucas seems to know where he's going. More and more, the Spartans are willing to follow.

You can reach Bob Wojnowski at bob.wojnowski@detnews.com.
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_minipostedThu Mar 27, 2008 9:10 pm

Big game tomorrow. GO STATE! MSU
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!   MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL! Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

MICHIGAN STATE BASKETBALL!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Off Topic :: Other Sports/Teams-
Jump to: