DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Around the Horn: Marlin Catchers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Around the Horn: Marlin Catchers Empty
PostSubject: Around the Horn: Marlin Catchers   Around the Horn: Marlin Catchers Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 8:20 pm

01/04/2008 10:00 AM ET
Around the Horn: Catchers
Rabelo, Treanor to battle for starting job at Spring Training
By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com

The following is the first in a series of weekly stories on MLB.com examining each Major League club, position by position. Each week until Spring Training camps open, we'll preview a different position. Today: Catchers.

MIAMI -- Say this about Mike Rabelo and Matt Treanor: They may lack game experience, but both have incredible amounts of patience.

Their perseverance is about to be rewarded.

After plenty of Minor League seasoning, Rabelo and Treanor will get their opportunities to win the starting catching job when the Marlins open Spring Training next month.

"Last year, we talked about center field," manager Fredi Gonzalez said of the position most up for grabs in camp.

Now, catching will be one of the most hotly contested and closely watched positions. Most likely, Rabelo and Treanor will split the job, perhaps close to 50-50. Regardless of who is behind the plate on Opening Day, each can expect plenty of work.

Gonzalez noted recently that the split could be five games for Rabelo or Treanor a week, with the other getting two starts. It may also come down to a comfort level between each catcher and a particular starting pitcher.

Rabelo, for instance, caught lefty starter Andrew Miller when they were with the Tigers.

For the past two years, Miguel Olivo held the starting job. While Olivo showed some power and toughness, he was inconsistent defensively, while being a free swinger at the plate.

Olivo started 119 games in '07, and finished with 16 home runs, 60 RBIs and a .237 average. He struck out, however, 123 times in 452 at-bats. Defensively, he showcased his strong arm by throwing out 20 of 71 runners trying to steal. But he committed 12 errors and had 16 passed balls.

The Marlins opted not to tender Olivo a contract in December, and the veteran signed recently with the Royals.

Treanor, who turns 32 in March, made 50 starts last year and has 154 big league starts. He got his big league break as a seldom-used backup in 2004, after he spent more than 10 years in the Minor Leagues.

Rabelo will turn 28 on Jan. 17. A switch-hitter who makes his offseason home in Tampa, Fla., he was acquired by the Marlins in the Miguel Cabrera-Dontrelle Willis trade with the Tigers during the Winter Meetings.

Regarded as a grinder, Rabelo made 43 starts as Ivan Rodriguez's backup in Detroit a year ago.

The Marlins regard Treanor more of a backup who is capable of 60-plus starts. And the team is leaning toward going with Rabelo as the primary option. Still, he has to win the job.

"It's an opportunity. As a player, that's all we can ask for, an opportunity," Rabelo said. "I'm excited."

This offseason, Rabelo refined his skills while playing for Azucareros del Este in the Dominican Winter League. Focusing on improving his defensive skills, especially in terms of blocking pitches in the dirt, he was managed by Marlins bench coach Carlos Tosca.

But his winter ball season was cut short after eight games and 29 at-bats when he was struck by a pitch in the foot. Rabelo broke his fourth left toe, and he just recently he had a cast removed.

"I'll be OK. I could play right now," Rabelo said. "I'm just trying to give it as much rest as I can."

In mid-January, Rabelo plans on heading to the Marlins' complex in Jupiter, Fla., where he will get about a month head start on Spring Training.
Over the next few weeks, a number of pitchers and catchers will arrive at the Roger Dean Stadium complex in Jupiter to get in some early workouts.

Rabelo's first season of professional ball was in 2001, and he last was a regular starter in the Minor Leagues with the Tigers organization in 2006.

He has 52 Major League games under his belt. Backing up a perennial All-Star like Rodriguez made Rabelo a realist.

The Tigers called upon Rabelo last year as a backup after veteran Vance Wilson was injured.

"I knew I wasn't going to play much," Rabelo said. "I just tried to stay as sharp as much as I could in my first full season in the big leagues. I learned a lot from watching [Rodriguez]. And I learned a real lot from Vance Wilson, who actually got hurt, and I stepped into the backup role. He gave me a lot of information and a lot of tips."

Rabelo picked up a number of pointers from the entire Tigers squad, like third baseman Brandon Inge and outfielder Gary Sheffield.

"Not once did Brandon Inge throw a piece of equipment," Rabelo said. "Nothing ever bothered him. And Gary Sheffield, nothing bothers him. I hope I can take what I've learned from others and put it to good use."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com

Around the Horn: Marlin Catchers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: MLB TEAMS :: Florida / Miami Marlins-
Jump to: