DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Guitar Help

Go down 
+6
SoulRat
GoGetEmTigers
mrsrabelo
bobrob2004
laprimamirala
TG
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female
Number of posts : 8073
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : I don't even know anymore.
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 4:56 pm

So I don't play the guitar yet. I'm spending all my christmas money on a guitar because I have wanted to play for 6 years, and never have.

I've been looking for a good one but I can't decide whether I want Acoustic or Electric.

Can anyone who does play help me a little bit? I need to know your advice on acoustic or electric, and brands of guitars.

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 4:59 pm

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to play in a band, get an electric. If you want to not deal with all the equipment, or just like the way an acoustic sounds, get an acoustic. Both have their good and bad points.
Just get ready to grow a bunch of BIG calluses on your fingertips, because that is your body's natural reaction to holding the strings down.
Are you teaching yourself or taking lessons?
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm going to try to tech myself for a while, cause I alreayd have a bunch of books. But I'll probobly end of taking lessons.

I think I want electric, cause first of all I think they sound a lot cooler, and second of all I want to be able to get in a band once I get good enough.

thanks!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:08 pm

Try your local community college for lessons. if you don't read music right now/have any piano background, it can be pretty daunting. DVD lessons are better, but in person is best.
Also, when starting out, trying playing at your local church (where they play that music). It's without pay but you get valuable experience and you will network better with all the people there.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:13 pm

The closest college to my house is in Dearborn which is about 30 - 45 minutes away, and i don't drive. That's where my sister goes though. I can read music well, because I take music classes at school.

I might try to go to my sister's church. My church wouldn't let me play.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:25 pm

My mom got home and I told her i was buying an electric guitar and she just kind of looked at me with a look like 'you have got to be kidding me'. And then I went on andconvinced her that i thought about it and all that and I was getting it whether she liked it or not. She then laughed and said okay.

So now I just need to figure out a brand, and I'll be able to get one. Thanks for your help laprimamirala! Big Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:41 pm

No problemo! Yeah, just find the right kind of church (usually interdenominational mega-churches are best!). We have 1 Mass that has drums, guitar, trumpets, and sax.
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:44 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
No problemo! Yeah, just find the right kind of church (usually interdenominational mega-churches are best!). We have 1 Mass that has drums, guitar, trumpets, and sax.

I would have a hard time getting used to that! I'm used to the traditional organ and piano at my church.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 5:46 pm

My church is catholic, so they won't let me. But my sister goes to undenominational. I'm looking at different ones right now. I might be able to get a nice guitar from my brother's friend who has quite a few. We'll see what happens, but I know I'll get one before long.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 8:10 pm

http://www.music123.com/ESP-F-50-Electric-Guitar-516677-i1149040.Music123

This one has a cool design, good reviews, and good with the kind of music I will be playing. I need to make sure I have enough money and see if I can get it anywhere around here or if I have to order it.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 11:35 pm

I would suggest not getting a very expensive one to start out with, and learn on and then when you really know how to play it get a really nice one. At Guitar Center they have just plain black ones for $100.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 2:01 am

bobrob2004 wrote:
laprimamirala wrote:

I would have a hard time getting used to that! I'm used to the traditional organ and piano at my church.

It was! But it's actually the type of congregation that comes to this Mass...young families and college students...that's why we could get away with it, and the pastor actually likes it as well. Definitely at all other Masses we just have the organ/piano and cantor.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 7:35 am

mrsrabelo wrote:
I would suggest not getting a very expensive one to start out with, and learn on and then when you really know how to play it get a really nice one. At Guitar Center they have just plain black ones for $100.

Thanks. I talked to my brother and he wants to play as well, so we are going to get one and we'll split the price, then maybe later we would get better ones. Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 am

TG wrote:
mrsrabelo wrote:

Thanks. I talked to my brother and he wants to play as well, so we are going to get one and we'll split the price, then maybe later we would get better ones. Smile

your mom will probably like that as well!
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 10:10 pm

lol. my mom doesn't really mind either way. My dad doesn't want me to play at all. He is mad and says if i want to play that i have to play acoustic. He went on and on foreeeever about how I'm wasting my time.

None of my friends want me to play. They all say it's stupid and too hard. I don't care if it's hard, I want to play. If they have a problem with that.. well.. they'll ahve to get over it.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 11:11 pm

Give it a try, music is a great way to express your feelings and bring out the creative skills you may have. Hope it works out well.

Guitar Help 5_2_103
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 1:46 am

geez, how can a musical outlet be wasting your time?
Drugs, that's wasting your time.
Booze, so is that.
Hanging out with friends---maybe so.
But creativity, music skills, and self-expression? Definitely not a waste of time! You stick to yer guns, kid.
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 6:22 am

Thanks. Big Smile
Back to top Go down
TG
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
TG

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 6:18 pm

Ok thank you for all your help everyone! I get a guitar, amps, guitar stand, strap, and extra cords for the amps for $100... that's pretty awesome Big Smile
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 6:23 pm

Great! Don't forget headphones! Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Quote :
Great! Don't forget headphones! Smile

LMAO Nod Make momma and pappa happy!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:15 pm

For those you Love!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:16 pm

they will love U 2....and U can practice all you want! Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:20 pm

They also will not hear the wrong notes you hit as you learn! Sneaky, but it helps!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I'm looking at your avatar, gogetem...can't help but think of the poor tiger who lost her life on Christmas Day at the SF Zoo...geez, those big beautiful cats should not be in zoos!
(actually, I'm against the whole zoo principle, but that's a whole 'nother thread!)
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Me, too. Just because of some drunken kids, we lost a beautiful "wild" animal. What did they expect out of something that was only being itself!

But some of the groups, we may class as zoos, are helping species that are going extinct. I am for that. I also do not have as much trouble with the "preserve" type zoos, like Busch gardens, who have the animals roam in large open areas in herds. Busch Gardens, Tampa has helped breed many animals and return them to the wild.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 7:47 pm

SF Zoo is not all that great...been there. We can't just have zoos solely as entertainment, I guess is my point.
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 8:11 pm

laprimamirala wrote:
SF Zoo is not all that great...been there. We can't just have zoos solely as entertainment, I guess is my point.

I agree, I am against that concept! And the idea of small cages or not putting the animals in groups, like found in nature, has caused many "zoo" animals to develop all forms of mental problems! That makes me very angry!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 10:03 pm

any time you see an animal pacing in a cage, it's not because of anger! they are going insane!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 10:29 pm

And I blame man for his not understanding God's creation. They will have to answer for how they (we all) treat his creatures.
:x rant
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Guitar Help Empty
PostSubject: Re: Guitar Help   Guitar Help Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Guitar Help
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next