DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...

Go down 
+4
catbox_9
laprimamirala
GoGetEmTigers
mrsrabelo
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:50 pm

and let it come in the 4th, 5th, and 6th innings so we don't lose steam!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male
Number of posts : 375
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Polanco & Verlander, Guillen, Mags, Miggy
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:55 pm

Good point...Tell Zoom to get better fast as well.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:56 pm

I'm scared he's going to blow out something coming out of the dugout!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:58 pm

Funny, He keeps getting some weird injuries. Guitar Hero, Finger warming up, San Diego Fire Shoulder...what next?
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:59 pm

i mean, how do you explain all that? I would be shaking in my cleats right about now that they were gonna dump me....
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 5:10 pm

Course you feel a little better knowing you have a 100 mph fastball...at least prior to the last shoulder surgery.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 5:11 pm

yeah! wonder what his speed is now!
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Number of posts : 2284
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens
Registration date : 2007-10-05

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 11:44 am

So the game was soo fun!! I sat in the second row. I gave Nate a pack of Big League Chew and he crammed it in his mouth during the 3 point shoot out. My friend was holding a "Dontrelle is swell" sign and he came over and gave her a hug. Let me say referee Dontrelle is hilarious. He just keps on calling random fouls, he tried to kick Curtis out of the game and get him arrested. It was the coolest thing I have ever been too! Oh and the line for the autograph signing was 3 hours long.

I'll post my pictures later.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/hotpinkangel09
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 12:12 pm

Mrs Rabelo, you've done it again! Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 4:25 pm

GRANDERSON'S GREAT NIGHT
Hooping it up for charity

January 27, 2008

BY JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Curtis Granderson stood along one sideline of the gymnasium, a few minutes before his charity basketball game was to begin, when an autograph seeker approached.

"Can I get you to ink this?" Desmond Howard asked.

Granderson was happy to oblige. Howard handed him an authentic version of his home jersey, along with a gray pen. Granderson signed the navy "28" on the back.

After Howard walked away, Granderson was asked what it meant to have a Heisman Trophy winner request an autograph. He smiled.

"I appreciate that," Granderson said.

Howard was among the well-known athletes drawn to Auburn Hills Avondale High for the inaugural Grand Kids Foundation Celebrity Basketball Game. The event, which benefited Detroit and Flint public schools, drew an estimated 1,700 on a snowy Saturday night.

"The way he handled this event, I think, is reflective of him and the type of person he is," Howard said. "It makes people like myself want to leave sunny Miami to come up to cold, freezing Detroit to participate."

"He's becoming a huge icon," said Jonas Gray, the Birmingham Detroit Country Day football star who is headed to Notre Dame. "Sometimes, with baseball, you don't see the face too much. Curtis is one of those faces you know."

Granderson coached Howard, Gray and the Detroit stars to a 66-63 victory over Flint. Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, a former U-M star, earned MVP honors. Nate Robertson coached the Flint team, and referee Dontrelle Willis playfully ejected Granderson for a portion of the fourth quarter.

Robertson and Willis signed long-term contracts with the Tigers this off-season, and Granderson may be a candidate to do the same over the next several months. Although he is not scheduled to enter free agency until after the 2011 season, Granderson has more service time than Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who signed a six-year, $31-million contract last week.

"We'll see," Granderson said, when asked about the possibility. "It'll definitely be an interesting thing, if it could happen. Right now, I'm still in the situation where the team doesn't have to do it. I'm happy where everything is right now. I know I have to pay my dues."

Said Willis: "I don't think he's concerned with that. I think he's a guy that plays hard for his family and teammates and city. That (contract) will come."

Granderson, a high school basketball star, said afterward that he was pleased with how his team played. He grinned when asked if he felt the temptation to get back on the floor.

"I miss it," Granderson said. "I definitely miss it."

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 4:28 pm

http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2008/01/grandersons-hoops-event/

Granderson’s Hoops Event

January 27th, 2008 at 11:06 am

I attended Curtis Granderson’s charity hoops game last night, and it would have to be considered a success. According to Jon Paul Morosi there were over 1700 fans in attendance at Avondale High School. The game featured the Detroit All Stars coached by Granderson against the Flint All Stars skippered by Nate Robertson.

The Detroit team, featuring Desmond Howard, Braylon Edwards, and Willie Burton ended up on top in a game that was made closer than it should have been by some horrible officiating from guest referee Dontrelle Willis. Edwards, who took home MVP honors actually seemed to be pretty irritated as Dontrelle made up calls to keep the game close down the stretch. Edwards came to play and he actually did play defense and had a few impressive dunks. He also hurdled the ball rack to dunk during half time.

Willis was very entertaining and an absolute clown who seemed to genuinely be having a great time. When questioned about his calls early on he retorted along the lines of “I came up all the way from Florida for this and I’ll throw everyone in this gym out if I have to.” He did throw out both Granderson and Robertson. Robertson offered to let Willis wear his glasses if it would help.

The half time show was a three point shoot out between Granderson and Robertson. Curtis won going away as Robertson couldn’t recover from a tough 1 for 10 in the first round.

Now with a crowd that big there were some frustrations. Doors opened at 5pm and I arrived with my kids at that time and waited for 25 minutes in the will call line while those who hadn’t pre-purchased tickets were able to walk right up and get them. Either mailing out tickets ahead of time, or having multiple lines for will call differentiated by last name would probably help next year.

Also, some were frustrated with the autograph process. Autograph tickets were sold for a signing session after the game. Even though the tickets were capped at 500, that still makes for a long line and a long wait considering it took the players a little while to get showered and start signing. There’s really nothing that can be done on that front. I did hear complaints from people around me who were upset that only Dontrelle and Curtis were signing. Many had brought UM football helmets and footballs hoping for Edwards and Howard (and probably Tyrone Wheatley who was scheduled to appear but didn’t). My take is that the autograph ticket cost $10 and it was being done for charity. I’m not sure what people really expected.

Even with the hiccups it was a great night for a great cause. It’s also great to see a young athlete be able to rally as much support as Granderson was able to attract.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Jeff Larish | Fish: Mike Rabelo | Rockie: Jason Grilli | Bullpen catcher: Scott Pickens

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 5:23 pm

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
GRANDERSON'S GREAT NIGHT
Hooping it up for charity

January 27, 2008

BY JON PAUL MOROSI

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

Curtis Granderson stood along one sideline of the gymnasium, a few minutes before his charity basketball game was to begin, when an autograph seeker approached.

"Can I get you to ink this?" Desmond Howard asked.

Granderson was happy to oblige. Howard handed him an authentic version of his home jersey, along with a gray pen. Granderson signed the navy "28" on the back.

After Howard walked away, Granderson was asked what it meant to have a Heisman Trophy winner request an autograph. He smiled.

"I appreciate that," Granderson said.

Howard was among the well-known athletes drawn to Auburn Hills Avondale High for the inaugural Grand Kids Foundation Celebrity Basketball Game. The event, which benefited Detroit and Flint public schools, drew an estimated 1,700 on a snowy Saturday night.

"The way he handled this event, I think, is reflective of him and the type of person he is," Howard said. "It makes people like myself want to leave sunny Miami to come up to cold, freezing Detroit to participate."

"He's becoming a huge icon," said Jonas Gray, the Birmingham Detroit Country Day football star who is headed to Notre Dame. "Sometimes, with baseball, you don't see the face too much. Curtis is one of those faces you know."

Granderson coached Howard, Gray and the Detroit stars to a 66-63 victory over Flint. Cleveland Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, a former U-M star, earned MVP honors. Nate Robertson coached the Flint team, and referee Dontrelle Willis playfully ejected Granderson for a portion of the fourth quarter.

Robertson and Willis signed long-term contracts with the Tigers this off-season, and Granderson may be a candidate to do the same over the next several months. Although he is not scheduled to enter free agency until after the 2011 season, Granderson has more service time than Colorado shortstop Troy Tulowitzki, who signed a six-year, $31-million contract last week.

"We'll see," Granderson said, when asked about the possibility. "It'll definitely be an interesting thing, if it could happen. Right now, I'm still in the situation where the team doesn't have to do it. I'm happy where everything is right now. I know I have to pay my dues."

Said Willis: "I don't think he's concerned with that. I think he's a guy that plays hard for his family and teammates and city. That (contract) will come."

Granderson, a high school basketball star, said afterward that he was pleased with how his team played. He grinned when asked if he felt the temptation to get back on the floor.

"I miss it," Granderson said. "I definitely miss it."

Contact JON PAUL MOROSI at 313-223-4097 or jmorosi@freepress.com.

That was in the paper this morning, and my dad is in the background of the picture they have on there.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedSun Jan 27, 2008 5:26 pm

Oh and we sort of met Curtis' agent too.

At the signing I did tell Dontrelle that I was excited for him to be here but they still got rid of Mike, and my mom(Casey21) said you took Seans number. My dad had to be all smart and everything and say "Hey Sarah, go talk to Dontrelle and say 'Whatchu talkin bout Willis." I smacked him. Big Smile
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 12:14 am

People were asking about Marcus not showing up. I found on www.motownsports.com the following:

Quote :
As for Marcus, his mother went into ICU this week. We didn't want to do a big release on it...

We need to pray for Marcus and his mom.
Back to top Go down
mrsrabelo
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
mrsrabelo

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 1:08 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:
People were asking about Marcus not showing up. I found on www.motownsports.com the following:

Quote :
As for Marcus, his mother went into ICU this week. We didn't want to do a big release on it...

Yeah she went in on Tuesday or Wednesday I think.
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 2:09 am

GoGetEmTigers wrote:

Quote :

Poor Marcus pray
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 2:14 am

Group Hug Group Hug Group Hug
Back to top Go down
iluvpudge7
Erie SeaWolf
Erie SeaWolf
iluvpudge7

Female
Number of posts : 2194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Not sure yet...

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 2:16 am

mrsrabelo wrote:

At the signing I did tell Dontrelle that I was excited for him to be here but they still got rid of Mike, and my mom(Casey21) said you took Seans number. My dad had to be all smart and everything and say "Hey Sarah, go talk to Dontrelle and say 'Whatchu talkin bout Willis." I smacked him. Big Smile

"Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?" LMAO He probably hears that a lot, lol Can't wait to see your pics!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedMon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 am

dads can be like that!
Back to top Go down
bobrob2004
DTF1 MODERATOR
Detroit Tiger

DTF1 MODERATOR Detroit Tiger
bobrob2004

Male
Number of posts : 10646

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedTue Jan 29, 2008 11:39 pm

The audio is crappy like it was taken from a cell phone camera, but here it is...

Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 am

Thanks for posting bobrob2004!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:38 am

thanks for this! Smile
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 11:29 am

That is cool.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 12:23 pm

curtis could teach his own basketball camp!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:45 pm

mrsrabelo wrote:

Your dad is funny. I like him!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:48 pm

poor Nate...he couldn't quite get the hang of it!
Back to top Go down
tigersaint
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
tigersaint

Male
Number of posts : 8973
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : All of 'em, except the BAD ones!!

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 2:49 pm

White men cant.........
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:45 pm

ooo...that's right! totally forgot about that movie!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:52 pm

That is not entirely true. They can't jump great but they sure should be able to shoot 3's. Oh well at least Nate didn't get hurt!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_minipostedWed Jan 30, 2008 4:54 pm

yeah...they even mentioned that they had to hold back a little, I read somewhere...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...   Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game... - Page 3 Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Grandkids Foundation Charity Basketball game...
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next