DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
For full access to all our areas, please register (free), there are areas that do not show up until you register and log-in.
DETROIT TIGER FANS!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DETROIT TIGER FANS!

A place for Detroit Tiger Fans to come together for a bit of fun

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Please log in and join in the fun of game day threads (GDT) and in overall Tigers chat.
CONGRATS TO CABRERA AND HUNTER on winning 2013 Silver Slugger Awards!
DETROIT TIGERS - 2011, 2012 & 2013 AL CENTRAL DIVISION CHAMPS!

Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?

Go down 
+4
laprimamirala
catbox_9
VegasTigersFan
GoGetEmTigers
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
GoGetEmTigers
DTF1 ADMINISTRATOR Detroit Tiger
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Number of posts : 57424
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)
Registration date : 2007-10-05

Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Empty
PostSubject: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 pm

JON PAUL MOROSI: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?
Why Brandon Inge could stay

January 18, 2008

Free Press sports writer Jon Paul Morosi recently spoke with MLBTradeRumors.com. Some highlights:

MLBTR: We've heard chatter that Miguel Cabrera could be baseball's next $200 million player. Is there any chance this could happen with the Tigers? Seems that it would require an 8-10 year commitment.

Morosi: This much is clear: The Tigers love Cabrera and will do what they can to sign him long-term. (He's two seasons away from free agency now.) I'm confident that they would make him a six-year offer for a little more than $100 million. But there's a big gap between those figures and a 10-year deal in the $200 million range. There is little doubt that his free agency years will be valued at more than $20 million each; he has better career offensive numbers than Torii Hunter, whose contract with the Angels averages $18 million per year.

MLBTR: The Tigers have become major spenders in recent years. Do you expect them to make a play for any of the big name free agent starters next winter, such as C.C. Sabathia, A.J. Burnett, Ben Sheets, or Oliver Perez?

Morosi: I don't anticipate them being major players in the market for big-money starters next off-season. Then again, I didn't think they were going to trade for Dontrelle Willis when I arrived at the winter meetings last month. Right now, they have four starters -- Willis, Justin Verlander, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Robertson -- who are under club control through 2010. That's pretty good depth. And Kenny Rogers could borrow a page from Jamie Moyer -- who is two years his senior -- and pitch longer than anyone expects.

On the other hand, the Tigers might need to look for a starter next winter if Rogers leaves/retires and one of the other four is injured or traded.

MLBTR: Will we see Brandon Inge in the Detroit organization on Opening Day?

Morosi: A quiet development here has been Vance Wilson's uncertain health after missing all of last season with an elbow injury that ultimately required Tommy John surgery. Jim Leyland said during the Tigers' caravan over the weekend that he's concerned about whether Wilson will be ready for the start of the season. Inge, who preceded Pudge Rodriguez as the starting catcher, could provide some insurance there. (Last year's backup, Mike Rabelo, went to Florida in the Cabrera/Willis deal.)

The Tigers are still trying to trade Inge -- Leyland said as much over the weekend -- but it doesn't seem that there's a big market for him as a starting third baseman. And the Rolen-Glaus trade meant two more teams solved their third base questions, reducing the number of potential suitors for Inge. So, he may have no choice but to accept a bench role.
Back to top Go down
http://alwaysatiger.forumotion.com
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male
Number of posts : 375
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Polanco & Verlander, Guillen, Mags, Miggy
Registration date : 2008-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 1:40 pm

I have to say...Sign Him. I know it is alot of money but with his numbers to lock him up for the next decade makes sense...Go Tigers!
Back to top Go down
catbox_9
catbox_9

Male
Number of posts : 22295
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Justin Verlander

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 2:27 pm

Sign him, Granderson, and Verlander!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 2:28 pm

I completely agree...
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female
Number of posts : 14194
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Magglio........:)
Registration date : 2007-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 2:53 pm

We'll be a team of seasoned long-timers!
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : JV, Hunter, Jackson, Porcello, Avila (really ALL of em!)

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Friday, January 18, 2008
Tigers, Cabrera agree: 1 year, $11.3M
Detroit News Staff And wire services

DETROIT -- Miguel Cabrera and the Tigers agreed Friday to a one-year contract worth $11.3 million, avoiding salary arbitration before the All-Star third baseman's first season with the team.

The team also agreed to a one-year contract with lefthanded reliever Bobby Seay. Terms of that deal were not announced. Cabrera and Seay were the last remaining Tigers eligible for arbitration.

Cabrera and pitcher Dontrelle Willis joined Detroit as part of a trade with Florida in December. The Marlins received a package of six players, including two highly rated prospects: left-hander Andrew Miller and outfielder Cameron Maybin.

Cabrera, 24, can become a free agent after the 2009 season, but the Tigers hope to keep him long term.

Cabrera, one of the game's top sluggers, joins an imposing lineup that includes Magglio Ordonez, Gary Sheffield, Carlos Guillen, Ivan Rodriguez, Curtis Granderson and Placido Polanco. The Tigers also acquired shortstop Edgar Renteria, a five-time All-Star, in a trade with Atlanta this offseason.

Seay, 29, was 3-0 with a 2.33 ERA in 58 appearances for the Tigers last season.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Number of posts : 27687
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones
Registration date : 2007-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 6:54 pm

I wouldn't: 10 years is a long time! Imagine if Juan Gonzalez had signed long term?

Not Saying Cabrera is gonna be like that; But you never know! I rather sign Granderson or Verlander to long term deals first;

Keep Inge as insurance too, We might need him down the road
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 6:57 pm

I agree. We seem to want to woo the new guys and are overlooking the talent already in place....
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male
Favorite Current Tiger(s) : Dontrelle Willis, Brandon Inge, Maggs, Verlander, Granderson, Pudge and Todd Jones

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm

My point exactly! Don't get me wrong; I like Cabrera; but among him, Granderson and Verlander: If I only could sign two of the three, I would sign Curtis and Justin before Miguel
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:24 pm

gs78 wrote:
My point exactly! Don't get me wrong; I like Cabrera; but among him, Granderson and Verlander: If I only could sign two of the three, I would sign Curtis and Justin before Miguel

We will see if you feel the same way after this season is over, Cabrera is a fantastic player.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 pm

We will see! Glad he is here for 08
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 pm

BRING THE WS HOME!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 7:34 pm

PLEASE!
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedFri Jan 18, 2008 8:05 pm

They will! GO TIGERS
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedSun Jan 20, 2008 12:29 am

We have him for 08 and 09 before free agency! They are hoping to get a multi-year contract before the start of the season. We gave up too much for just a two year stint with the Tigers.

Guess who his agent is........... Rogers favorite person Boras! Hopefully Kenny Rogers can work on Miggy to not be swayed too much by Mr. Greed!

Last edited by on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedSun Jan 20, 2008 2:42 am

he's the agent for most of the Tigs, right? I know he's Maggs' agent.
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedSun Jan 20, 2008 6:17 pm

Tigers need to win it all in 08; While the window is open; The future is not guaranteed
Back to top Go down
GoGetEmTigers
GoGetEmTigers

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedSun Jan 20, 2008 10:27 pm

2009 at the latest. We lose control of him for 2010, unless they get long term. They still say he is better at his age than even A Rod could dream of. And he is so young yet.

Also hope they lock up Verlander and Granderson. I just hope we can get another good catcher soon, if Inge won't do it. We are hurting there.

Last edited by on Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedMon Jan 21, 2008 1:20 am

GO TIGERS!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 12:00 pm

Granderson and Verlander are two of my favorite players but when you look at what Miguel has done at his age he is incredible. Lock all three of them up...just don't think we are wooing the new guys and not being loyal to our own. I just want to make Miguel our own for a long time to come and you will see why in about 3 months.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 1:16 pm

We'll be scoping him at our ST games!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedTue Jan 22, 2008 2:43 pm

Putting his stick in our line up could be unbelievable...damn I can't wait...
Back to top Go down
gs78
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
gs78

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 3:33 am

GO TIGERS GO
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 4:20 am

WS in 08!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 am

This is gonna be a great year...I just wish it would start already !!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 12:12 pm

It does take awhile, doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 12:26 pm

I can remember years when I didn't want it to start cause then by May it would be over...at least our playoff hopes. NOT ANYMORE!!!!
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm

these guys have staying power! now they just gotta USE it!
Back to top Go down
VegasTigersFan
West Michigan Whitecap
West Michigan Whitecap
VegasTigersFan

Male

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 1:18 pm

I hope we can look forward to many more seasons as much as I am looking forward to this one.
Back to top Go down
laprimamirala
Detroit Tiger
Detroit Tiger
laprimamirala

Female

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_minipostedWed Jan 23, 2008 1:46 pm

geez--look at you go with your posts! good job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?   Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Could Tigers give Miguel Cabrera $200 million?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
DETROIT TIGER FANS! :: Tiger Talk :: Breaking News-
Jump to: